Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

181 MAXWELTON AVENUE, ALMA , INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB1025

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/09/1988
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Burgh
East Kilbride
NGR
NS 64354 54777
Coordinates
264354, 654777

Description

Probably David Rhind, 1839. 5-bay, single storey former school with 4-bay range to N. Piended roof; base course. Squared sandstone; dressed margins.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central bay with pediment breaking through eaves; entrance porch with 3-pane fanlight and panelled door; 2 single windows flanking at either side. NE range 3 single windows; gateway to left.

NE ELEVATION: attached range.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: central canted bay; 2 single windows flanking at either side; gateway on left leading to front garden.

SW ELEVATION: attached gateway.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof; tall, coped stack at left wallhead; central wallhead chimney to rear.

GATEPIERS: 3 tall stone piers at entrance to house; square shafts on short plinths; shallow pyramidal corniced caps. 2 shorter stone piers at rear entrance; square shafts with stepped pyramidal caps.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. In 1839, Sir William Alexander Maxwell of Calderwood Castle - his family were the namesake of the village - established a local school that outranked the Parish School of East Kilbride. His endowment provided education for the poor in the area. Subjects taught included English, arithmetic, Latin and dressmaking for girls. A group of 3 small cottages were built to the left of the boundary wall as accommodation for the teachers. The master was paid a salary of ?40, the female teacher and assistant ?12 each. By 1886, 90 students were enrolled at the school. In 1889, the School Board took over the school and by 1908 it was solely used as an infants school. In 1911, the school closed and was bought a year later and transformed into a home. In 1921, Captain Tillet purchased the house and gave it its present name, Alma; he named it after his wife Alice Marie.

Formerly Item 59 in East Kilbride Parish and transferred to the Burgh on Resurvey 13 June 2002.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS Map, 1862; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1898; B Niven MAXWELTON ENDOWED SCHOOL East Kilbride News 10th June 1998. T E Niven EAST KILBRIDE THE HISTORY OF PARISH AND VILLAGE, p.190. NAS RS 3/242a includes Maxwell's application (1848) for public funding, David Rhind, architect, is a witness in 1841.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 181 MAXWELTON AVENUE, ALMA , INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 01:01