Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

153 AND 151 HIGH STREET INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB38526

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
27/06/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Newburgh
NGR
NO 23271 18271
Coordinates
323271, 718271

Description

No 153: N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: late 18th century with additional 19th century work 2-storey 3-bay terraced house with close to left. Painted ashlar to street elevation with lettering, 'NEWSAGENT M. G. FARQUHARSON CONFECTIONER TOBACCONIST FANCY GOODS'. Narrow base course, cill course to 1st floor, moulded eaves course. Margined windows and doorway, ground floor window openings chamfered.

No 151: E (CLOSE) ELEVATION: late 18th century-early 19th century 2-storey terraced houses/weaving sheds with 1-bay projection to right set at right-angles with moulded corbel forming part of close. Whinstone rubble with predominantly droved red sandstone dressings. Properties in close stepped at roofline indicating separate owners (currently 3 including that to N which is part of No. 153).

No 153: graded grey slates, 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storey, 2-pane fixed light windows to lower storey. Replacement door. Corniced ridge stacks to E (later brick) and W (ashlar). No 151: some replacement windows and doors, some 12-pane timber sash and case windows, 1 timber boarded door.

INTERIOR: No 151: house to S modernised, middle house, not seen. No 153 modernised.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND BOUNDARY WALLS: (all to S). To E, single storey 2-bay building. Whinstone rubble (harled to N), pantiles, timber 12-pane sash and case windows, 2-leaf timber door. Gable stack to S. To W, single storey 3-bay former lavatory and coal store, whinstone rubble. To S, former washhouse, now roofless and severely dilapidated. To far S, former pigsty, rubble walls with triangular coping stones.

Statement of Special Interest

A characteristic Newburgh building, this is an important townscape feature within the exceptional High Street. Nos 153 and 151 are good examples of Newburgh's social history. Both properties were owned for a considerable amount of time in the 18th and 19th centuries by the Cochrane family.

Alexander Cochrane, weaver and Matthew Cochrane, shoemaker were admitted as burgesses of the burgh of Newburgh in July 1778.

At one time Matthew Cochrane owned what is now 153 and 151 High Street and his brother, Alexander owned the property next door, now 149 High Street. It is possible that they were originally built as a pair for the brothers - the 1st edition OS map shows a shared croft behind both properties.

The Cochranes appeared to be at various times weavers (a typical Newburgh occupation), barbers and shoemakers. There are many entries in the sasine records for the property concerning weaving, such as: 'leaves to George Cochrane liberty to possess the East room in the loft entry through the common entry and also two lippies lintseed ground about the middle of the yard or croft being 10 yards square to each lippie' and 'gives to George Cochrane, weaver, his six loom shop, situated behind the dwelling houses disponed by him to Matthew and John Cochrane, sons of Andrew Cochrane, barber together with six roods of his croft. With reservation of a loom stance in the said six loom shop to his sister Isobel Cochrane during her life.'

The lettering on the street elevation refers to the Farquharsons who ran the ground floor of No 153 as a Newsagents until it was sold in 1977. It continued as a shop until 1986 when the ground floor was altered to provide living accommodation.

Re-categorised as C(S) from B for Group (2006). The listing relates specifically to the group interest of the subject. It applies, as always, to interior as well as exterior, as appropriate to building type.

References

Bibliography

University of St Andrews, NEWBURGH BURGH RECORDS Ref B54/7/3, (1778). National Archives of Scotland, NEWBURGH REGISTER OF SASINES, Refs B54/1/1, B54/2/2, B54/2/5, B54/2/6 (1784-1859).

1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (1852-5). Alexander Laing, LINDORES ABBEY AND ITS BURGH OF NEWBURGH (1876) pp299-313. 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map (1893-5).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check trove.scot for images relating to 153 AND 151 HIGH STREET INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search trove.scot

Printed: 29/08/2025 21:06