The monument consists of the surviving portions of Elgin Cathedral, its ancillary buildings, graveyard, boundary wall and gates
The remains consist of a nave with double aisles and N and S porches; twin western towers having a superb portal and window between them; transepts above which rose a great central tower (which collapsed in 1711); a choir with aisles and presbytery; and a detatched octagonal chapter-house, rebuilt in the 15th century.
The cathedral was founded in 1224 and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Much of the remaining work is from that century; but in 1390 the cathedral was burnt by Alexander, earl of Buchan, also known as the "Wolf of Badenoch", and the ruins show traces of extensive early 15th-century rebuilding.
In the surviving ruins and in the detached fragments assembled on the site there is a wealth of moulded work, heraldic decoration, and figure sculpture; preserved in the nave is a standing cross-slab with Pictish symbols, which formerly stood in St Giles's kirkyard in Elgin.
The area to be scheduled includes the remains of the cathedral and chapter-house, the cathedral lodge, and the graveyard surrounding the cathedral up to and including the boundary wall and gates: an area measuring some 130m E-W by 90m N-S, as shown in red on the accompanying map.