The monument consists of the nave, NW tower and S porch of the medieval cathedral of Dunkeld, together with the parkland immediately around it and an area to the N and W where the chanonry is known to have extended. The choir of the cathedral is excluded.
The parts of the cathedral to be scheduled date from a period of late medieval building campaigns instigated by Bishop Cardeny in 1406. They consist of an aisled nave of seven bays, with a three-storeyed elevation, to which a S porch and NW tower were added by Bishop Lauder before 1483.
Immediately around the cathedral is an area of enclosed parkland, while woodland to the W and parkland and farmland to the N covers the site of the chanonry, although the modern field called St Ninian's Croft also includes the site of Dunkeld House, built by Sir William Bruce for the Marquess of Atholl.
The area to be scheduled includes the nave, S porch and NW tower of the cathedral, but excludes the choir, which acts as the modern parish church. The area to be scheduled also includes the enclosed parkland around the cathedral and part of the woodland to the W plus the E part of St Ninian's Croft to the N, where the chanonry once extended.
The area is iregular on plan, with maximum (diagonal) dimensions of 450m NNE-SSW by 295m NW-SE, as marked in red on the accompanying map.