The monument comprises the 16th-century towerhouse of Drumcoltran, and a small area of ground associated with it, which is a property in the care of Historic Scotland. The monument is being re-scheduled as no adequate documents can be traced from the time of the original scheduling.
The tower is now situated among farm buildings, reflecting the later medieval arrangement of ancillary buildings within an associated barmkin. The L-shaped tower rises to three storeys and an attic, with a straight-coped corbelled parapet. The stair tower is a storey higher without a parapet and terminates in a small watch-chamber. This projecting wing appears to be an addition to an oblong tower of possible mid 16th-century date. The main doorway lies in the re-entrant angle and is defended by a gun-loop. Above the door is an empty heraldic panel surmounted by a rustic platitude couched in Latin. The inscription reads: 'Keep hidden what is secret; speak little; be truthful; avoid wine; remember death; be pitiful'.
Drumcoltran, in common with many of the towers in this area, was built by a branch of the Maxwell family around 1570; the ownership of the estate passed to the Irvings in 1668. The Maxwells were responsible for the construction of the existing farm steading and contemporary alterations to the interior of the tower in the 18th century.
The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described, which is the same as the area in the care of Historic Scotland. This area measures some 19.7m NW-SE by 13.6m NE-SW, as marked in red on the accompanying map.