Scheduled Monument

Lochcarron Old Parish Church, 160m SSW of Lochcarron Parish ChurchSM8867

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

The legal document available for download below constitutes the formal designation of the monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The additional details provided on this page are provided for information purposes only and do not form part of the designation. Historic Environment Scotland accepts no liability for any loss or damages arising from reliance on any inaccuracies within this additional information.

Summary

Date Added
10/05/2000
Type
Ecclesiastical: church
Local Authority
Highland
Parish
Lochcarron
NGR
NG 91401 41225
Coordinates
191401, 841225

Description

The monument comprises the remains of Lochcarron Old Parish Church and burial ground, known as the 'Great Church of Lochcarron'. The church was built in 1751 and abandoned about 1845, after the present parish church was built in 1834-6, 200m to the NE.

The remains of the church consist of the SE wall and the gables, the NW wall having been entirely removed. The church was aligned NE-SW. The structure is rubble-built and very plain, with large rectangular windows. The openings of the SE wall are arranged in a symmetrical six-bay pattern of doors and windows. The original openings have a simple chamfered detail.

The present remains are believed to occupy the site of the medieval church of St Maolrubha's. St Maolrubha's church was a common kirk of the Canons of Ross, one of a number of churches in Argyll granted to Ross in the 13th century. In the late 16th century, Timothy Pont describes the site as 'Clachan Mulruy, with a kirk and a toun'. The 'toun' Pont refers to, can be identified as Kirkton, 300m SE of the monument. The parish was erected by the Court of Teinds in 1726. Prior to 1724, it was part of the Presbytery of Gairloch - the name was changed to that of Lochcarron in 1775.

The area to be scheduled includes the church and burial ground. The area is irregular in shape and is defined by the boundary wall of the burial ground. The area has maximum dimensions of 50m NNE-SSW and 45m NW-SE as marked in red on the attached map. All modern burial lairs still in use are excluded from the scheduling.

Statement of National Importance

The monument is of national importance as an example of an early modern church which occupies the site of a much earlier foundation. The archaeology of the site has the potential to contribute greatly to an understanding of medieval and early modern ecclesiastical architecture, religious practices and material culture.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NG94SW 2

Gifford, J. (1996) The Building of Scotland: Highlands and Islands, Penguin Books.

Hay, G. (1957) The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843.

Innes, Cosmo (1850-5) Origines Parochiales Scotiae (Bannatyne Club).

Macfarlane, W. (1726) Geographical collections relating to Scotland made by Walter Macfarlane; edited from Macfarlane's transcript in the Advocates' Library by Sir Arthur Mitchell (1906-1908). Edinburgh: Printed by T. and A. Constable for the Scottish History Society.

Scott, H. (1915-1918) Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Edinburgh: Oliver & Boyd.

About Scheduled Monuments

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Scheduling is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for monuments and archaeological sites of national importance as set out in the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

We schedule sites and monuments that are found to be of national importance using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Scheduled monument records provide an indication of the national importance of the scheduled monument which has been identified by the description and map. The description and map (see ‘legal documents’ above) showing the scheduled area is the designation of the monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The statement of national importance and additional information provided are supplementary and provided for general information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland accepts no liability for any loss or damages arising from reliance on any inaccuracies within the statement of national importance or additional information. These records are not definitive historical or archaeological accounts or a complete description of the monument(s).

The format of scheduled monument records has changed over time. Earlier records will usually be brief. Some information will not have been recorded and the map will not be to current standards. Even if what is described and what is mapped has changed, the monument is still scheduled.

Scheduled monument consent is required to carry out certain work, including repairs, to scheduled monuments. Applications for scheduled monument consent are made to us. We are happy to discuss your proposals with you before you apply and we do not charge for advice or consent. More information about consent and how to apply for it can be found on our website at www.historicenvironment.scot.

Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Lochcarron Old Parish Church, 160m SSW of Lochcarron Parish Church

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2024 21:31