The monument to be scheduled comprises three symbol stones, located within a stone and timber shelter at the north end of the cemetery carpark, 60m SE of Rhynie Manse.
Two of the stones, now set into the ground within the shelter, were formerly scheduled as "Rhynie Old Kirkyard, two symbol stones", at their former location inside the cemetery (Rhynie, nos. 5-6). They had been dug up in 1878 from the foundations of the old church. One is whinstone (face: 1.6 x 0.76m), with a beast's head, double disc, Z-rod, and mirror-and-comb symbols on it, while the other is red granite (0.83 x 0.43m) with a double disc, Z-rod, crescent and V-rod with mirror symbols.
The third stone (Rhynie, no. 8), now fixed to the back wall of the shelter, was found in 1978 in the area SSE of the Craw Stane. It is a fragment (0.43 x 0.39 x 0.16m) of a larger granite block which has been broken and squared off after the carving of the symbols on it. The symbols include the outline of a beast, surmounting a comb and a now-truncated S-shaped figure.
The subjects to be scheduled comprise the three symbol stones and their fixtures only, and exclude the rest of the shelter. The location of the stones is indicated in red on the accompanying map extract.