The monument consists of two carved stones of Early Historic date, both in the garden of Sandside House, Reay.
The more easterly of the two stones is a roughly rectangular slab of sandstone, measuring approximately 1.45m tall by 0.6m wide by 0.1m thick. It is sculptured on one face with incised symbols of Pictish type and is thus a Class I symbol stone. At the top are a horizontal row of 3 vertically-aligned flattened ovals, joined together in the middle by pairs of small circles, and having a double outline at the tops and bottoms of the ovals; below this is carved a mirror-case symbol; and at the bottom are the mirror and comb symbols. The symbol of the 3 ovals is very infrequent.
This stone was discoved c.1853 near the remains of an early settlement on the sand links by the shore at Sandside. It is held against a retaining wall in the garden by iron cramps and is currently set upside down, with the three ovals at the bottom. There is a crack across the middle of the stone.
The more westerly of the two stones is a rectangular block of sandstone measuring 0.75m tall by 0.22m wide by 0.2m thick. It is sculptured on one face only. At the top is incised a small circle or orb 0.1m in diameter, containing an equal-armed cross. Beneath is a plain circle 0.2m in diameter, occupying the width of the stone. In the bottom left hand corner is carved the date 1911.
This stone was found built into a stone dyke near Tigh a'Bheannaich at Shurrery (at approximately ND0357), the site of a chapel of early origin. It is now set into a garden wall to the E of Sandside House.
The area to be scheduled is in two parts. The more easterly area is rectangular and measures 1m N-S by approximately 0.5m E-W, aligned with the stone, to include the symbol stone and the portion of wall against which it stands. The more westerly area consists of a length of garden wall 1m long, centred on the stone, and measures approximately 0.7m N-S by 1m E-W, to include the carved stone and the wall into which it is set. These areas are indicated in red on the accompanying map extract