Scheduled Monument

Cill Chriosd,church and burial groundSM6144

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

The legal document available for download below constitutes the formal designation of the monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The additional details provided on this page are provided for information purposes only and do not form part of the designation. Historic Environment Scotland accepts no liability for any loss or damages arising from reliance on any inaccuracies within this additional information.

Summary

Date Added
17/01/1995
Supplementary Information Updated
11/02/2021
Type
Crosses and carved stones: sculptured stone (not ascribed to a more specific type), Ecclesiastical: church
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Strath
NGR
NG 61712 20710
Coordinates
161712, 820710

Description

The monument consists of the remains of the late 16th/early 17th century church of the parish of Strath, known as Cill Chriosd.

Medieval material including an animal carving and decorative mouldings found in the graveyard and window fragments reused in the masonry suggest that the present church is built on the site of an earlier one. The first known documentary source for a church on this site is in 1505. In 1627 Cill Chriosd received its first protestant minister.

The church is situated in its rectangular graveyard on the N side of the road between Broadford and Torrin. The church is gabled, rectangular-plan, and measures 16m ENE-WSW by 5.2m NNW-SSE inside walls 0.7m-0.9m thick. Its rubble-built walls stand to wallhead level. There are no openings in the N and W walls. The entrance, in the S wall, has chamfered jambs and check and square sconsions. Three windows with inwardly splayed jambs, two E of the entrance, pierce the S wall. In the E gable is a blocked window with a segmental- headed rear arch. A later burial enclosure the same width as the nave abuts the E end of the church. In the SW portion of the graveyard is a slate tombstone of medieval date decorated with a foliate cross.

The area to be scheduled is rectangular, measuring a maximum of 110m NE-SW by 55m NW-SE, to include the church and burial ground, excepting the burial enclosure constructed against the E wall of the burial ground as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Statement of National Importance

The monument is of national importance as a parish church originating in the Middle Ages, first documents in 1505. Although the earliest building on the site has been replaced, architectural remnants discovered in the graveyard and in the fabric of the existing building suggest the former existenve of an amitious and finely decorate earlier building. The monument has the potential to provide further evidence, through excavation and analysis, which may determine the precise location, chronology, layout and design of an earlier ecclesiastical foundation.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NG 62 SW 3.

About Scheduled Monuments

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Scheduling is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for monuments and archaeological sites of national importance as set out in the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

We schedule sites and monuments that are found to be of national importance using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Scheduled monument records provide an indication of the national importance of the scheduled monument which has been identified by the description and map. The description and map (see ‘legal documents’ above) showing the scheduled area is the designation of the monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The statement of national importance and additional information provided are supplementary and provided for general information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland accepts no liability for any loss or damages arising from reliance on any inaccuracies within the statement of national importance or additional information. These records are not definitive historical or archaeological accounts or a complete description of the monument(s).

The format of scheduled monument records has changed over time. Earlier records will usually be brief. Some information will not have been recorded and the map will not be to current standards. Even if what is described and what is mapped has changed, the monument is still scheduled.

Scheduled monument consent is required to carry out certain work, including repairs, to scheduled monuments. Applications for scheduled monument consent are made to us. We are happy to discuss your proposals with you before you apply and we do not charge for advice or consent. More information about consent and how to apply for it can be found on our website at www.historicenvironment.scot.

Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Cill Chriosd,church and burial ground

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 09:39