Scheduled Monument

Red Priest's Stone and burial ground 500m NNE ofSM2721

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

The legal document available for download below constitutes the formal designation of the monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The additional details provided on this page are provided for information purposes only and do not form part of the designation. Historic Environment Scotland accepts no liability for any loss or damages arising from reliance on any inaccuracies within this additional information.

Summary

Date Added
04/11/1968
Last Date Amended
06/03/2003
Type
Crosses and carved stones: cross-incised stone, Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard
Local Authority
Highland
Parish
Farr
NGR
NC 71486 47224
Coordinates
271486, 947224

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a pre-Reformation chapel and burial ground, the only surviving upstanding evidence of which is a cross-incised pillar, known as 'Clach an t-Sagairt Ruidhe', 'the Red Sone of the Priest' (ONB 1873) or 'the Stone of the Red Priest'. The burial ground and the incised stone were scheduled separately in 1968. The rescheduling will combine both the burial ground and the inscribed stone under one scheduling.

The monument comprises a small unenclosed and slightly raised area of rough pasture in the corner of a field. A number of stones can be seen through the rough grass. There are no markings on these stones and no indication as to whether they are gravestones or a scatter of field stones. 'The Red Priest's Stone' is situated to the E of the site and is 0.7m high and 0.3m in width, with a roughly incised, almost equal-armed cross with a rounded head, on its north face.

'The Red Priest' was one of the names given to St. maelrubha (d.722), from which it is assumed that the chapel was dedicated to him. Nothing further is known of the site except that it was described as a chapel by Pennant in 1774 and its stones are said to have been removed c.1825 to form the embankment of the river Naver opposite Riloisk. The outline of the burial ground is shown as triangular in 1873 (OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., 1873).

The area to be scheduled is a circle measuring 30m in diameter, as indicated in red on the map. It includes the graveyard and the cross-incised stone and an area around it, within which related material may be expected to be found.

Statement of National Importance

The monument is nationally important as the site of a pre-reformation chapel and burial ground. The cross incised stone, and the association of the site with St Maelrubha is suggestive of an early ecclesiastical site.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NC74NW 2.

References:

Allen J R and Anderson J 1903, THE EARLY CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND: A CLASSIFIED ILLUSTRATED DESCRIPTIVE LIST OF THE MONUMENTS WITH AN ANALYSIS OF THEIR SYMBOLISM AND ORNAMENTATION, Edinburgh, Pt. 3, 55.

Joass J M 1865, 'Notes of various objects of antiquity in Strathnaver', PROC SOC ANTIQ SCOT 5, 359.

Mackay A 1906, 'Notes on a slab with incised cresentic design, stone mould for casting spear-heads, a cup-marked stone, holy-water stoup, and other antiquities in Strathnaver, Sutherlandshire' PROC SOC ANTIQ SCOT 40, 131.

ORDNANCE SURVEY (NAME BOOK), Inverness, 1874, Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey Book No. 20, 250.

OPS 1855, ORIGINES PAROCHIALES SCOTIAE: THE ANTIQUITIES ECCLESIASTICAL AND TERRITORIAL OF THE PARISHES OF SCOTLAND, 2, 2, Edinburgh, 708.

Pennant T 1774, A TOUR IN SCOTLAND; MDCCLXIX, Warrington, 345, 3rd ed.

About Scheduled Monuments

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Scheduling is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for monuments and archaeological sites of national importance as set out in the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

We schedule sites and monuments that are found to be of national importance using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Scheduled monument records provide an indication of the national importance of the scheduled monument which has been identified by the description and map. The description and map (see ‘legal documents’ above) showing the scheduled area is the designation of the monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. The statement of national importance and additional information provided are supplementary and provided for general information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland accepts no liability for any loss or damages arising from reliance on any inaccuracies within the statement of national importance or additional information. These records are not definitive historical or archaeological accounts or a complete description of the monument(s).

The format of scheduled monument records has changed over time. Earlier records will usually be brief. Some information will not have been recorded and the map will not be to current standards. Even if what is described and what is mapped has changed, the monument is still scheduled.

Scheduled monument consent is required to carry out certain work, including repairs, to scheduled monuments. Applications for scheduled monument consent are made to us. We are happy to discuss your proposals with you before you apply and we do not charge for advice or consent. More information about consent and how to apply for it can be found on our website at www.historicenvironment.scot.

Find out more about scheduling and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Red Priest's Stone and burial ground 500m NNE of

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/10/2021 13:28