Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NORTH QUEENSFERRY, THE BRAE, OLD SCHOOL HOUSELB9986

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
19/12/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Inverkeithing
NGR
NT 13152 80612
Coordinates
313152, 680612

Description

Dated 1827. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan former school house with square stair tower to N (rear); modern garage to W. Coursed hammer-dressed sandstone ashlar to S; rendered to W; painted rubble to S; stone cills; hoodmoulds; eaves course. Advanced pilastered doorpiece with original school bell and dedication inscription and date. 1st floor windows of square dimension.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced pilastered doorpiece with original bronze school bell fixed above, inscription to lintel 'BUILT BY SUBSCRIPTION / A D 1827'. Window to left; later single storey timber and glazed conservatory to right. 3 square 1st floor windows close to eaves, centred above ground floor openings.

E ELEVATION: not seen, 2002.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: large central 2-storey piended stair tower with large central stair light; door with fanlight and small square 1st floor window to right return; timber glazed lean-to porch to right encapsulating bipartite window to right-hand bay; corresponding bipartite window to left of stair tower. 1st floor windows flanking stair tower. Single storey modern garage to far right.

W ELEVATION: pitched single storey garage extension.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows with horns; 8-pane timber sash and case bipartite windows to rear at ground floor (lower glazing bars to left window now missing); margin-paned timber stair window. Pitched roof; grey slates; raised flat-headed stone skews; coped hammer-dressed sandstone gablehead stack to E; circular clay cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2002.

Statement of Special Interest

This building was erected as the new school house for the children of North Queensferry as the former school at Melinkie Cottage (see separate listing), in use since 1769, was too small. The new building was a combined school and schoolhouse and was paid for by public subscription. When first built, this school was the last building in the village on the Ferryhills Road. It was used until 1875 when the children were moved to a new building (now demolished) adjoining to the W at which time the 1827 school was used entirely as the school master's residence. The west gable was reconstructed as a plain elevation when the 1876 school was demolished.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856). Rev W Stephen, HISTORY OF INVERKEITHING AND ROSYTH (1921) pp406-407. E P Dennison, R Coleman HISTORIC NORTH QUEENSFERRY AND PENINSULA (2000) pp25-27, 32, 43, 53, 70. North Queensferry Heritage Trust plaque.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, THE BRAE, OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/10/2019 19:41