Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NORTH QUEENSFERRY, TOWN PIERLB9978

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
18/06/1973
Supplementary Information Updated
27/03/2003
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Inverkeithing
NGR
NT 13096 80274
Coordinates
313096, 680274

Description

John Rennie, 1810-1813; extended Thomas Telford, 1828-1834. Long jetty and pier running SSW. Jetty paved with setts and bordered by large slabs, extending 165m in length, wrapping around end of pier, returning landward W of pier wall as narrow low-level quay. Raised pier flanking jetty to W; coursed droved sandstone blocks to E wall ending mid-way in pier-head from which steps descend shoreward N to water and another set of steps descend towards Forth to S; longitudinal extension beyond pier-head runs on in form of parapet-wall terminating with tapered circular base for beacon with date stone, 1834. Surface of pier keyed with small oblong blocks arranged in pairs.

5 stone tapered cylindrical rounded posts, dimple carving to tops (formerly joined by chain handrail) to N end; 2 sets of foot holes forming ladder to E wall, 1 to centre and 1 below partially truncated post to right.

Statement of Special Interest

A-group with Signal House, Lantern Tower and East and West Battery Piers (see separate lists). This pier forms an historic association with Ferry Passage and is linked to the contemporary construction of the Signal House, the Lantern Tower, East Battery Pier and West Battery Pier (see separate listings). It was formerly called North Queensferry Pier and later Signal House Pier. In 1809, the Forth Ferry Trustee Company was established and subsequently an Act of Parliament was passed in 1810 by which the former proprietors of the Ferry Passage were compelled to sell their rights to the Government at the price of #10,000. Facilities related to the landing at North Queensferry were in much need of upgrading and engineer, John Rennie, was commissioned to provide improvements to the existing slip landings and piers at North and South Queensferry at a final cost of #33,825. This also included improvements to the landing place at East Battery and a new landing place at West Battery was to be constructed, now located to either side of the N end of the Forth Bridge cantilever. The Town Pier became the main landing point for the ferryboats crossing from South Queensferry. In 1820, the steam ship Queen Margaret was put into use across the Queensferry Passage and consequently a longer pier was required to accommodate this new type of vessel. The Town Pier was the arrival point for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1842. With the opening of the Forth Bridge in 1890, the Railway Pier (see separate listing) built in 1877 at West Bay became the usual pier for road traffic. The ferry passage ceased altogether with the opening of the Forth Road Bridge in 1964.

References

Bibliography

Office Papers of John Rennie, NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND. Rev W Stephen, HISTORY OF INVERKEITHING AND ROSYTH (1921) p317. A Graham 'Archaeological Notes on some Harbours in Eastern Scotland,' PROCEEDINGS FROM THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND, Vol 101 (1968-1969) pp259-260. E P Dennison, R Coleman, HISTORIC NORTH QUEENSFERRY AND PENINSULA (2000) pp45, 48-49.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, TOWN PIER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/05/2019 21:52