Thomas Telford. Built 1821. Coaching inn, with stable
courtyard to rear (W) below road level.
INN: 2 storeys, irregular U-plan with symmetrical 5-bay E
front; built on slope with basement to courtyard. Coursed and
partly cherry-caulked squareed whin rubble with contrasting
painted ashlar margins and long and short worked dressings.
E elevation: central doorway, 2 baseless Tuscan columns in
antis supporting entablature; blind tripartite above;
otherwise single windows, sashes, with 12-pane glazing
pattern, corniced and aproned at ground with margins linked
to base course (aprons continued on 3-bay flanks - wider N
flank with tripartites to inner bay). Eaves course, cornice
and blocking course continued over all elevations (blocking
course raised centrally over main door). Symmetrically placed
stacks (in pairs linked by arches). Piended slate roof with
leaded platform. Round-headed W-facing stair window between
INTERIOR: hallways with arched openings; cantilevered stone
stair with cast-iron balustrade; vestibule with
Tuscan-columned screens; reception with ?key-safe; moulded
cornice plasterwork; vaulted cellar in basement and cast iron
ovens in kitchen.
STABLES: 2 storeys, upper openings to lofts, whitewashed whin
rubble and ashlar dressings. Originally 2 adjoining ranges
about court; S end of courtyard closed by plain mid 19th
century skewed range. Wide depressed-arched pend in N range;
5-bay W range has 3-bay carriage house with tall
square-headed openings, narrow pend (to midden) with
depressed archway on W wall; full-height (later) wing returns
W from S end. All roofed with graded slates.