Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

WEST GATEHEAD, LAIGH MILTON VIADUCTLB990

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
19/01/1982
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Parish
Dundonald
NGR
NS 38349 36902
Coordinates
238349, 636902

Description

William Jessop, engineer, 1809-11, restored 1995-96, Barr Limited. Stone railway bridge 5.8m wide spanning River Irvine. Four rounded arches with spans of 12.2 metres, rounded cutwaters with half-column buttresses rising through deck bands to parapet level. Coursed rubble masonry with rusticated free-stone to arch voussoirs, cutwaters and buttresses. Outward curved abutments on banks, with railway tracks approaching through cuttings. Bridge deck of crushed stone, parapets renewed. New metal railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as Milton Bridge as part of the Kilmarnock and Troon plate-way, which was opened in 1812 as the first public railway in Scotland ceasing operation in 1846. The earliest surviving bridge built for use by a railway in Scotland. The railway operated with a travelling steam engine hauling coal as early as 1816, though not with sufficient

success to replace horse-traction on the line. The contractor for the work was a 'Mr Simpson' (probably Telford's John Simpson) who was paid ?4,000 for the work thus a medium to low cost construction. The restoration work was funded by 7 different bodies. It involved a temporary damming of the river, the introduction of steel centering frameworks to support the extrados of the arches, the stabilisation of the piers, strengthening of the spandrels and a new deck. Defective masonry was replaced and the structure pointed with lime mortar. Formerly addressed simply as a disused railway viaduct.

References

Bibliography

Information per John Gerard. John Hume: INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol I. Roland Paxton 'Conservation of the 1811 Railway Viaduct at Laigh Milton, Scotland'. Paxton, in Civil Engineering, Proceedings of ICE, May 1998. RCAHMS photographic survey.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WEST GATEHEAD, LAIGH MILTON VIADUCT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/09/2019 04:01