Designed by Robert Adam, circa 1764; modified and built 1767; E wing added late 18th/early 19th century; W wing and further alterations early 19th century. 2-storey, basement and attic, 5-bay corps-de-logis, extended to E by 3-bay block; 2-storey, 4-bay E wing; 2-storey and basement 7-bay W wing. Coursed sandstone corps-de-logis with ashlar dressings; harled wings with sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; dividing band course, modillion-moulded eaves course; eaves blocking course. Strip quoins; architraved windows, with entablatures to principal floor; attic windows predominantly recessed in roof to attic floor.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: corps-de-logis: 7-bay principal block arranged 2-3-2; pilastered, flat-roofed porch advanced to centre bay at ground floor, pilastered 2-leaf panelled and glazed timber door reached by 5 steps, flanked by 8-pane glazed panels, broad decoratively glazed fanlight above, windows to left and right returns at ground floor, decorative round-arched doorways with fluted pilastered and scrolled keystone motifs to basement floor; regular fenestration to flanking bays to left and right at ground floor and basement, 3 windows to 1st floor, 3 recessed windows to attic floor; 2-bay blocks to left and right slightly advanced, regular fenestration to all floors, rectangular dormer centred above bays to right. 3-bay block adjoining to right, blind oculus to left of basement floor flanked by window, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors, rectangular dormer to centre of attic floor. E wing: 2 2-bay blocks, that to outer right slightly advanced, regular fenestration to each. W wing: arranged 2-2-3; 2-bay gabled block advanced to centre with regular fenestration, flat-roofed pilastered single storey porch to re-entrant angle to right, architraved doorway, panelled timber door, window to right return, louvred door to basement below, regular fenestration to remainder; regular fenestration to recessed bay to outer left.
SE ELEVATION: symmetrical; gabled bay advanced to centre with tripartite window set in gablehead, windows to returns, windows to flanking bays to left and right at 1st floor; ground floor obscured by 2-storey wing. Wing: symmetrical; entablatured pilastered doorway, flanked by 2 windows, panelled timber door to centre bay, window centred above; 2 2-bay blocks with paired pilasters slightly advanced to left and right, regular fenestration.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: corps-de-logis: 7-bay principal block arranged 2-3-2; 3 broadly canted bays to centre, glazed timber door reached by swept flight of stone steps with decorative railings and trefoil-headed openings to returns, regular fenestration to remainder. 2 2-bay blocks to left and right, 3-light canted late 19th century windows through basement and ground floors, regular fenestration above; regularly spaced recessed window to attic floor. 3-bay block adjoining to left, window to centre of basement infilled, regular fenestration to remainder. E wing: 5-bay, 2 bays to left slightly advanced, regular fenestration. W wing: 5-bay; gabled 2-bay block to centre, regular fenestration, recessed 2-bay block adjoining to left, irregular fenestration to basement, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors; 3-light canted bay advanced to outer right.
NW ELEVATION: near-regular fenestration, doorway to basement, 2 blind windows to right of 1st floor; bays to right and obscured by W wing. Single storey W wing: architraved panelled timber door with tall fanlight to left, flanked to right by 3 windows, doorway to penultimate bay to right, flanked to outer right by further single window.
Predominantly 12-pane and 15-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped skews. Coped wallhead and ridge stacks with octagonal and circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: original Adam plasterwork and chimney-pieces survive in hall, dining room and drawing room. Variety of highly decorative timber doors. Decorative wrought-iron balusters to staircase. Later decorative plaster and timberwork throughout.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group with East Lodge, Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald's Temple, Walled Garden, West Lodge and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). The Auchincruive Estate was owned by the Wallace family in the 13th century. There were a variety of owners until the 18th century when James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant, in 1764. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925, when they sold it to a local farmer John M Hannah, who gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains (1999). Robert Adam is known to have designed a house "simple classical house with wings" (Sanderson, see above) for James Murray, the plans for which survive (see above). However Oswald and his family are responsible for the current house (originally harled), which bears only some resemblance to Adam's plans, and was clearly modified quite substantially. The window arrangement of the entrance elevation is vastly simplified, the pedimented entrance and Venetian windows being omitted. The quadrant links to kitchen and stable pavilions do not appear to have been built to Adam's design either. In the late 18th/early 19th century the E wing was added. In 1819 George Oswald inherited the estate, and later commissioned the building of the W wing and the raising of the E wing. The interiors designed by Adam were carried out as intended, some of their fine detailing borrowing from his English commissions such as the thyrsus and ivy in the hall, found also at Shardeloes (Sanderson, see above). The ceilings vary from the beam and panel ceiling of the hall to the geometric ceiling in the drawing room and foliate rococo inspired ceiling in the dining room.
ADAM DRAWINGS, SOANE MUSEUM, Vol. 2, Vol 11, Nos 219-23, Vol 22, Vol 44, Nos 60-65; Andrew Armstrong, A New Map of Ayr, 1775 (evident); THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 5, p120, 122; 1st (1860) and 2nd (1897) EDITION OS MAPS; FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1 (1892), p82; SRO (GD 213/54, pp 23, 27, 39, 55, 59, 108-9); COUNTRY LIFE (1712/1932); K Andrew, AYRSHIRE: KYLE AND CARRICK DISTRICT, (1981), p87-88; J Macaulay THE CLASSICAL COUNTRY HOUSE IN SCOTLAND, 1680-1880 (1987), p144; AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, Vol 2 (1987), p155-6; Michael C Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991), pp43-5, 47, 156-7; D King, THE COMPLETE WORKS OF ROBERT AND JAMES ADAM, (1991), p225, 242, 245; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), pp40-1; M H B Sanderson, ROBERT ADAM IN AYRSHIRE, (1993), p12-15; NMRS Photographic Archive (A67694).
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHINCRUIVE ESTATE, OSWALD HALL
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 01/11/2020 00:29