Perhaps by William Burn, circa 1834. Now a symmetrical
arrangement of 2 walled gardens (that to N late 19th/early
20th century) with central courtyard, latter bisected by high
linking wall, with basket archway, which abuts front wall of
single storey cottage at N and corresponding long range of
lean-to potting sheds opposite. Outer (W) court entrance
flanked by hoodmoulded and round-headed garden gateways and by ornamental circular "sentinel boxes"; conical-roofed and
circular possible fruit store at SE angle of inner court.
Main elevations of principal buildings red ashlar, remainder
mostly rubble-built; slate roofs.
COTTAGE: 3 bays, piended inner porch to court, in re-entrant
angle of dividing wall, is supported on single Doric column;
sash windows with vertical glazing pattern; end stacks; low
flanking wings, that to W concealed and treated as part of
walled garden, but with dummy slits; E wing has adjoining
recessed long range of sheds.
GARDEN WALLS: enclosures each with curved end walls furthest
from court; enclosure to S has high rubble-built walls, that
to N mostly brick walls with plain iron railings;
ashlar-walled smaller enclosure at S. nearest house.