James Barbour of Dumfries circa 1875 incorporating existing
T-plan parish church; latter 1799 with 1824 repairs (? by
James Thomson) (?including construction of jamb). Enclosed by irregular-plan churchyard.
CHURCH: Rubble-built with ashlar dressings (original
dressings droved), whitewashed with contrasting red ashlar
margins and rusticated quoins: openings now mostly
round-headed, circular gable windows. Original building
totally re-modelled and heightened with vestry and porch
added at E gable below timber and slate birdcage apex belfry: conical-roofed stair turret added in SW re-entrant angle
(original door in W gable). Shaped skews; roofs covered with
Interior: also by Barbour, with extensive heavy timberwork.
CHURCHYARD: Enclosed by rubble-built walls, mostly
ashlar-coped: gate at W (no gatepiers). Mostly 18th and 19th
century stone monuments and headstones, some with good
artisan sculpture; some table tombs; good aedicular (Ionic)
Johnston of Bearholm monument to S of vestry dated 1753;
Young of Craigielands mural monument; polygonal stone
possibly from Staffa or Giant's Causeway.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Category B for quality of churchyard.
SRO NRA(S) Annandale Bundle 151/2 includes "Discharge .....
from Annandale's chamberlain for his proportion of casting
the bell of Kirk of Kirkpatrick Juxta, 18th November 1673";
also accounts for repairs 1716 and re-thatching 1725.