Dated 1734. Medium scale tripartite-plan Palladian mansion
with flanking wings added 1818, possibly by Alexander
Johnstone; converted to shooting lodge circa 1894 with
interior remodelled to form 6 individual suites; service
court to E also enlarged and remodelled 1894. Built mainly of
yellow ashlar. Slate roofs.
ORIGINAL HOUSE: 2 storeys over basement. 7-bay S elevation
with giant pilastered (Ionic) centrepiece, pilasters
(unusually) rising from basement, pediment raised above
wallhead, 2 semi-circular lights and crest in tympanum.
Central perron added circa 1840; door and flanking windows
all set in pilastered, round-arched and key-stones panels
with monogramed tympana; other openings architraved.
Rusticated quoins. Cornice; roof balustrade perhaps
contemporary with wings. Plain 1-3-1 N elevation with
advanced ashlar-built centre (outer bays rubble-built),
square porch (?1818) and heavy porte-cochere (?circa 1894).
Cornice and plain parapet. 3 axial stacks, the central one
transversely set and not original; piended slate roof,
WINGS: deep on plan, set back from main front at S, boldly
advanced to N; single storey with basement; 3 narrow S-facing
bays (circa 1894 attic to E wing), 4th wide bay set forward
with window in round-headed panel, urns over angles; 4-bay N
elevations; W end elevation with 3-light bow near S end.
SERVICE COURT: (also 1818) 2 parallel ranges adjoining E
wing, and linked at E; upper floors jettied out to court
circa 1894 with casement windows and harled; outer 1st floor
windows break through eaves and have blocked cornices.
Doric-columned porch in NE re-entrant angle.
Balustrades and piers to N basement area and to garden
terrace to S; architectural garden ornaments.
Interior: (mainly circa 1894) entrance hall oak-panelled with marble-columned screens; library, music (originally drawing)
and dining rooms (in W wing) are well detailed.