Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 91224 72666
291224, 572666


16th century square towerhouse with later minor alterations;

adjoining E side 1723; 2-storey house by John Selchrig,

mason. These buildings form the S range of an enclosed square

courtyard; wall of various building dates with 16th/17th

century ornamental gatehouse to W.

TOWER: probably constructed for Edward Maxwell soon after he

was granted the lands of Hills in 1527, the upper works are

of more ornamental character probably late 16th/early 17th

century, and contemporary with the gatehouse. 4-storey and

attic square plan tower, rubble walling with dressed quoins.

TOWER: heraldic panel above door contains arms of Edward

Maxwell and Janet Carson. Large paired windows to 1st and 2nd

floor are 1723 enlargements, chamfered jambs. 1930's glazing.

Bands of chequered corbels support slightly projecting

wall-walk and small open angle-rounds/bartizans. Mock cannon

gargoyles are placed just above the corbel course, parapet

wall much rebuilt and now embattled. Hefty stack to W gable.

E gable crowstepped small caphouse to NE over stair, slate


INTERIOR: Newel stair in NE angle lit by slit windows. Usual

vaulted cellarage to ground. Hall to 1st with depressed-arch

presses flanking fireplace. Most internal doors with

roll-moulded jambs.

HOUSE: built 1721-3 by John Selchrig, mason of Cairn; the

contract specifies the taking down of an old house adjoining

the tower and building of a new residence on the site

re-using as much of the old materials as possible, also

certain alterations to the old tower.

2-storey painted rubble house. N elevation; off-centre

entrance with heraldic panel (now blind) above. 3 ground

floor windows, 4 to 1st (Westernmost now blocked) alternating

with 3 heraldic panels, date 1721 cut in window lintel. S

elevation: roll-moulded door to extreme left (now blocked) 3

ground floor windows and one smaller stair window; 5 1st

floor windows (one blocked). Window jambs painted, mostly

simple chamfer to S ground checked back jambs and re-cut

chamfers. Small-pane casement windows, modern aluminium

framed 2-pane plate glass to S 1st floor. End and centre

coped axial stacks, end skews, skewputts, slate roofs.

INTERIOR: superficial alterations including blocking of

fireplaces. Original kitchen to E, with large fireplace and

oven, stairs originally to E of centre gable, now renewed.

GATEHOUSE: probably late 16th-early 17th century work similar

in style to upper works of tower. Rubble-built gatehouse set

in W wall of courtyard. Round-arched roll-moulded gateway

with decorative corbel bands, depressed-arch pend behind with

rebuilt voussoirs to E. Corbel course over arch, heraldic

panel (Royal arms) flanked by small shot-holes. Bands of

miniature chequered corbels at eaves. Sandstone skews and

ridge, slate roofs. Access from courtyard originally by

wheel stair, now by rebuilt straight stair. Loft possibly

originally dovecot.

COURTYARD: high rubble wall with sandstone coping. Uncertain

age, much rebuilding and incorporating pieces of earlier cut


Statement of Special Interest

The towerhouse, gatehouse, 18th century house and courtyard

form an outstanding A group. The gatehouse in particular is a

unique and important example of its type. The surviving very

precise contract for the construction of the 18th century

wing adds to the importance of this building.



MacGibbon and Ross C and D vol iii p 390. Grose vol ii p 185

(illus). Inv 330. Original contract for 1721-3 work in

Ardwall Papers; SRO Bundle XXXIII items 1488, 1489.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HILLS TOWER, GATEHOUSE AND COURTYARD WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2019 19:45