There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- East Ayrshire
- Planning Authority
- East Ayrshire
- NS 52748 21755
- 252748, 621755
First phase 1906-12, new shaft sunk and production flow reorganised in 1950's. A large colliery complex, with two shafts, one (No 3) for man and coal winding, the other upcast for emergency use. The listing encompasses more important elements surviving from both phases of construction.
OLD NO 1 AND NO 2 WINDING ENGINE HOUSES. Built 1906-12, and formerly housing steam winding engines, pair of single storey and basement red and yellow brick buildings, with round-headed openings. Side walls (6 bay) and tripartite gable elevations have red brick panels surrounded by yellow brick, arched heads of the windows and doors are also of yellow brick. Skews and skewputs of red sandstone. Roofs slated, with two ridge ventilators on each. On shaft side gables unusually extended to provide pedimented screen walls in front of roof extensions to accommodate winding ropes. Minor alterations to both buildings.
ELECTRICITY GENERATING STATION. Built 1906-12, single storey and basement red and yellow-brick building 3 by 4 bay, extended on long face by 4 bays both sections with hipped roofs. Architectural treatment is similar to that of winding engine houses, externally little altered.
WATER TREATMENT HOUSE, CHIMNEY AND BOILERS. Water treatment house, is in red brick 2-storey building 5 by 1 bay building, with replacement corrugated and perspex roof. Style comparable to other older buildings, use of yellow brick limited to window heads at the upper level. Two Lancashire boilers in brick setting, with late concrete buttresses, associated steam piping, later brick and concrete flue and a plain circular-section brick chimney stalk at the base remains of cast-iron economiser.
NO 3 HEADGEAR No 3 headgear four legged welded steel A frame structure with four pulley wheels.
Statement of Special Interest
Barony Colliery first large modern colliery in Ayrshire. After 1st shaft sunk for the Eglinton Iron Co in connection with the Lugar ironworks. In 1957 an electricity generating station was opened on adjoining site, to burn coal slurry from washing plant. Power station closed and demolished in 1983. Colliery closed in 1989. The coal washing and loading points, car hall, linked engine house and covered conveyors are excluded from the listing.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.