Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 76390 39306
376390, 839306


Large L-plan block (quadrangular prior to 1777 with N. and E. sides ruinous) comprising:-

S. RANGE 147' long, originally 15th century (incorporating Preston Tower c 1400 at S.E., Meldrum Tower built at S.W. in form symmetrical front), reduced to width, upper parts of centre pair of arch linked D-plan towers flanking old entrance (The Seton Tower) and upper parts of Preston and Meldrum Towers added 1599 (dated) for Alexander Seton Earl of Dunfermline. N. wall demolished and rebuilt, range again

widened though not to pre 1599 width 1777/93 for Gen. Hon. Wm. Gordon N. wall again remodelled, clock tower added A.A. Marshall Mackenzie 1899. 3-storey and attic, towers 4-storey and attic with angle turrets, harled, richly detailed red sandstone dressings.

W. RANGE 3-storey and attic 137' long, 1603 perhaps incorporating older work, with great wheel stair 20'4" x 18'6" at N. end, beyond which Gordon Tower erected 1777 on site of chapel to match original Seton work; buttresses added about same date. Single-storey crenellated vestibule added on E. side after 1816, circular turrets originally had conical roofs. Squinch turret in angle and other alterations A. Marshall Mackenzie 1913 and 1920. Leith Tower at N.W. adjoining Gordon Tower John Bryce 1890, 3-storey and attic with Huntly-type oriels, incorporating at rear butler's house originally built c. 1816/20 but remodelled 1890. Fine interior work throughout, panelled charter room, fine plaster work by Robert Whyte 1683 in old dining room now morning room etc.

Statement of Special Interest

The Raquets Court a detached structure on the West is listed separately.



N.S.A. v. 12 p. 331 etc.

C. & D. Arch v. II p.348

A.W.M. Stirling, Fyvie Castle.

W. Douglas Simpson in P.S.A.S. v. LXXIII and note in Press and Journal June 16th 1962.

Cruden, Scottish Castles; Giles Aberdeenshire Castles XXXI-III

Domestic Architecture in Scotland (Daily Journal Aberdeen) plate 42. Billings v. II Neale's Seats. Leith Hay, Castellated Architecture of Aberdeenshire. Contract books, A. Marshall Mackenzie & Son per John Marr F.R.I.B.A.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FYVIE CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 09:29