Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

FETTERCAIRN VILLAGE PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD OF FETTERCAIRNLB9509

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/08/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Fettercairn
NGR
NO 65110 73521
Coordinates
365110, 773521

Description

Originally plain rectangle of 1804 with 4 Gothic windows on south-east flank. North-west transeptal aisle, slim tower and spire added at centre of south west gable, John Henderson (Edinburgh) 1838, pinnacles removed after storm and other damage 1879. Red rubble, white sandstone

dressings, simple belfry lancets with gables over, plain octagonal spire. Recast G P K Young (Perth) 1924-25, broad sanctuary added to north east gable, simple chamfered chancel arch and flanking side arches, Y-tracery, hammer-beam roof and refurnishing. Approximately oval churchyard with Fasque, Balmain and Arnhall burial enclosures, good 17th and 18th century memorials. East part of churchyard wall rebuilt Walker and Duncan 1900.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

References

Bibliography

NSA v XI p 124. Cameron, "Fettercairn" p 168 et seq Heritors' Records John Milne had previously executed some repairs and prepared a scheme for remodelling the church with an open roof but this was not carried out.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FETTERCAIRN VILLAGE PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD OF FETTERCAIRN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/07/2019 02:22