Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
King Edward
NJ 76078 55080
376078, 855080


1766-1828; range of farm buildings, the central group of 4 free standing buildings flanking rectangular yard dating from 1766 onwards, together with slaughter house sited on rise to NE. Though some ranges have later harling, the original building materials are red Turriff sandstone ashlar dressings, reddish field rubble and cherry-pointed coursed, squared conglomerate. All with gabled slate roofs and most with apex ball finials.

COURTYARD RANGES: open court flanked E and W by long ranges (long elevations E and W), at W dated 1766 and E of 1777. E range with slit mural vents indicating original use as grain store/barn: both with grotesque carved stone finials at S apices and both now adapted internally for modern agricultural use. Shorter N side of court filled by byre and cart shed (1777). S side of court closed by pair of single storey cottages with dormerless attics, 1 of 3 bays, other of 2 bays with alternate window/door/window frontage. Constructed in 1777 (but dated 1823 or 1828, ?recording alterations). Small windows with

timber sash and case glazing: squat end chimney stacks; slate roof. Re-used 16th century carved stone finials.

FORMER STABLES AND CARRIAGE HOUSE: dated 1792, linked at right angles to form L-plan with long 1766 W block; gutted and now joiner's workshop. Single storey and loft, long S elevation much altered; hay loft entry in W gable.

RUINOUS CART AND IMPLEMENT SHED AT E: (1822). Also 1822 ruinous single storey and dormerless attic cottage at NW.

SLAUGHTER HOUSE: dated 1777. Single storey, rectangular building facing S. Centre door with dated lintel flanked by mock stone cannons (?later insertions) and flanked each side by narrow vent. Squared cherry-pointed conglomerate frontage, rubble gables and rear ashlar margins. Tuskers project from rear wall (?indicating original intention to extend building). Slate roof with skylight and apex ball finials; stone ridge; shaped run-off skewputts.

Statement of Special Interest

Re-used carved stone finials on pair of cottages from Carnousie, Banff and Buchan. These cottages were model dwellings comparable with the best of their period. Though the interior of some of the farm buildings have been adapted to modern use, the survival of this mid-18th/early 19th century Mains Farm as originally laid out, is of considerable interest.



H Gordon Slade, 'Craigston Castle, Aberdeenshire' PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND, vol. 108 (1976-7), pp. 282-5, pl.21b. H Gordon Slade 'Designs for improved estate buildings in NE Scotland', VERNACULAR BUILDING 9 (1985), pp. 2-8.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CRAIGSTON CASTLE, HOME FARM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2024 13:49