Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 AND 2A BARRMILL ROAD, KNOCKBUCKLE AND KNOCKBUCKLE COTTAGE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB938

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Beith
NGR
NS 34941 53739
Coordinates
234941, 653739

Description

Circa 1830, with additions circa 1850. Ornamental Tudor-Gothic stuccoed façade to symmetrical 2-storey 3-bay villa; single storey and attic later wings to either side, that to L with slightly advanced tripartite bay to ground and dormer breaking eaves, that to R (No 2a, now in separate ownership) with 2 windows to ground (that to L former door) and box dormer; single storey former carriage house to outer L adjoining boundary wall. Base course; moulded string course between floors; crenellated parapet. Wings harled with raised and painted margins and angle margins; moulded eaves course to W wing.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: outer engaged hexagonal corner buttresses; central bay flanked by pointed Gothic buttresses with foliate finials rising above crenellated parapet; square-headed hoodmoulded entrance with flanking side lights panelled oak outer door; 5-part letterbox fanlight above. Hoodmoulds to windows; label-stops to 1st floor. Centre frieze of parapet with moulded quatrefoils in diaper pattern.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced bay with large stair window, 2 small windows at ground; timber boarded door in re-entrant angle to L, window above; flanking single bays, that to L with timber panelled 2-leaf border-glazed door; wing to R with small G

othic window to L, blocked central opening and semi-dormer above. Door to carriage shed plus 2 blocked openings to R. Monopitch range to outer L.

Timber sash and case glazing, main portion of façade lying-pane (6-pane lower sashes, 4-pane upper); mixture of 12-pane glazing, 4-pane Victorian sash and case and later casements to wings and rear; original timber margin-paned glazing to stair window at rear. Grey slate roofs; overlapping skews to W wing and wallhead dormer to S, with moulded skewputs; 4 corniced hexagonal ashlar chimneystacks to each original gable plus corniced ashlar gable stack to W wing and coped gable stack to E wing (all replacement cans).

BOUNDARY WALLS: rendered, coped low stone walls to front with 5 capped gatepiers. High random rubble wall with flat coping forming part wall of carriage shed flanking Kirk Road, forming boundary wall to side and rear of garden; 2 openings in wall to Kirk Road: that to R with carriage arch and 2-leaf timber boarded door; that to L square-headed key-blocked opening with tabbed, droved ashlar surround (constructed 1996).

INTERIOR: good interior scheme in place with original and early Victorian features. Hall: broad, with timber pilasters supporting depressed arch; dog-leg stair with elaborate cast-iron balustrade (acanthus leaves and rosettes) and mahogany handrail; Regency sunburst ceiling rose and simple decorative cornice. Dining room: plain moulded cornice; skirting and dado; painted brick chimneypiece in form of pointed Gothic arch. Victorian drawing room: bolection-moulded Tudor-style chimneypiece with granite hearth; elaborate foliate cornice; timber panelled doors with flanking pilasters and entablature (1 converted to cupboard, formerly providing access to dining room). Kitchen/sitting room: Edwardian classical-style timber chimneypiece. Upper hall: pilastered timber panelled doors with continuous entablature. 1st floor former drawing room: pilastered doorcases with timber panelled doors; egg and dart cornice with moulded cornucopia. Dressing/linen room to front between former drawing room and bedroom: timber panelled fitted cupboards.

Statement of Special Interest

Knockbuckle sits on the hill that gives it its name, adjacent to the High Church (separately listed) and prominently located in the Townhead area on the south approach to Beith's centre. One of the town's most distinctive villas, Knockbuckle is a typical classically symmetrical villa but with a striking Tudor-Gothic stucco treatment to the façade. Here, the fashion for the Tudor-Gothic style in Ayrshire is quite apparent. The house shares elements (the octagonal outer buttresses) with larger Tudor-Gothic mansions such as Holms House, by Galston (demolished), possibly by David Hamilton or William Burn, and Tour House, Kilmaurs (separately listed), built after 1841. Less grand than these are the former Priory Lodge and Elderslie house (now Elderslie Hotel, separately listed) Largs, by David and James Hamilton, 1829-30. These share similar hexagonal ashlar chimneystacks. In the same vein as Knockbuckle but less exuberant is Burnhouse Manor, to the southeast of Beith, comparable for its addition of Tudor-Gothic details to a standard form. Hamilton could have designed Knockbuckle but equally it could be a remodelling of an existing plain Georgian villa under Hamilton's influence.

References

Bibliography

Appears in present form on 1st edition OS map of 1858. Michael C Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991) p83, 310. Robert Close AYRSHIRE & ARRAN (1992) p95.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 AND 2A BARRMILL ROAD, KNOCKBUCKLE AND KNOCKBUCKLE COTTAGE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 02:34