Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 THE STRAND, FORMER TOWNHOUSELB937

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Beith
NGR
NS 34812 53893
Coordinates
234812, 653893

Description

1817, with alterations to ground floor circa 1900. 2-storey classical hall on prominent corner site; 3 bays to Strand with outer pilasters supporting pedimented gable surmounted by round-arched bellcote capped with ogival-domed roof and weathervane; 4 bays to Eglinton Street with outer pilasters supporting cornice and blocking course. Segmental-headed ground floor openings; entrance to centre on Strand, to outer L with decorative fanlight to Eglinton Street; moulded 1st floor continuous cill course and architraved windows. Lunette with painted town arms to typanum. Painted sandstone ashlar.

Timber sash and case 12-pane glazing to 1st floor; plate glass windows to ground. Grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: ground floor with timber boarded interior; timber Art Nouveau chimneypiece and overmantel; stair with turned timber balustrade and etched blue and red-bordered window; 1st floor principal apartment (public meeting hall) with original timber panelled doors in reeded Regency architraves; dado; cornice.

Statement of Special Interest

B group with 9 Eglinton Street. Now in use as the Post Office (2003). Situated in the centre of Beith, the townhouse is said to have been constructed on the site of a 17th century tolbooth. It was built by public subscription and owned by subscribers until 1838. The ground floor was originally two shops and the income from the rents was used for public purposes. The hall above was used for judiciary purposes (a small cell for criminals was on the ground floor), public meetings and also as a newspaper reading room, as was frequently the practice in the early 19th century. The bell was donated by George Shedden of London, in 1823, and cast by Thomas Mears (RCAHMS p46).

References

Bibliography

James Dobie CUNINGHAME TOPOGRAPHIZED BY TIMOTHY PONT 1604-1608 (1876) p92. Francis Groome GAZETEER Vol I (1883) p138. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol V (1839) p601. Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858. RCAHMS TOLBOOTHS AND TOWN-HOUSES (1996) pp4, 7, 46. Robert Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992) p95.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 THE STRAND, FORMER TOWNHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 02:33