Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

STOTHERT MEMORIAL CHURCH (FORMER FREE CHURCH) LUMPHANAN.LB9282

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/11/1980
Supplementary Information Updated
09/06/2009
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Lumphanan
NGR
NJ 58305 4803
Coordinates
358305, 804803

Description

William Henderson & Son, dated 1870. Striking granite tower and spire on plain Gothic rectangular-plan church with 4-bay nave prominently sited on raised ground overlooking Lumphanan village. Harled with rough coursed ashlar granite tower and ashlar reveals. Part base course, mutuled eaves cornice to tower. 2-stage diagonal buttresses; hoodmould with label stops at entrance; leaded diamond-pane windows throughout, traceried to tower and margined to nave. Tower has clock face in diamond-aligned moulded panel, spire has lucarnes.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance tower to S with broad boarded timber door giving way to 2-light traceried window and clock, further similar windows to each return and, and finialled spire. N elevation has broad 4-light traceried window with coloured fleur-de-lis to each diamond; E elevation with 4 nave windows and small gabled projection at outer right.

Leaded diamond-pane windows throughout, those to tower and N gable traceried, and those to nave with coloured margins. Grey slates. Ashlar-copes skews and skewputts. Cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers, and decorative ironwork ventilator grilles.

INTERIOR: simple little-altered interior with fixed timber centre pews, kingpost-type roof on decorative corbels and boarded timber dadoes. Carved pulpit on raised platform with decorative ironwork balusters. Small gallery at S end reached by steep narrow stair. Paired classical memorial tablets to Revd Thomas Stothert, died 1893, and his wife Helen Lundin Brown, died 1880.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. The Stothert Memorial Church sits on an elevated site within rubble enclosure walls which surround a terraced graveyard (to the south and west) with 19th and 20th century gravestones. The striking granite tower with its high quality stone spire is an important part of the interest of the church.

Sited close to the main entrance is an early medieval font which Geddes describes as a "rough boulder bowl 3m in circumference moved from the old parish church to this site".

Based in Aberdeen, brothers William and James Henderson briefly worked together, but by the Disruption of 1843 the partnership had been dissolved. They were both involved in designing buildings for the newly formed Free Church, and William was responsible for approximately one hundred churches and manses. From 1857, the Hendersons were also architects to The Union Bank. William died before 1892, and his son, William Low Henderson, died in 1899 but the practice continued under the name William Henderson & Son after his death.

List description updated 2009.

References

Bibliography

Jane Geddes Deeside and The Mearns An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2001), p114. Contracts, Aberdeen Journal 27 October 1869. www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 29.05.09].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STOTHERT MEMORIAL CHURCH (FORMER FREE CHURCH) LUMPHANAN.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/10/2019 07:32