Courtyard castle comprising:- Z-PLAN TOWER HOUSE, Probably
c. 1550 and before 1575 3-storey and attic harled with
square N.W. Dog Tower, larger circular tower at S.E.
Very finely detailed, moulded square headed door in Dog
Tower with late gothic bases, sunk panels over. Rich gothic
ogee panel, now empty on W. wall of centre section. Other
sculptured details in angles, dog finial to Dog Tower.
Interior: ground floor vaulted, hall at 1st floor divided
into dining and drawing rooms late 17th century with
bolection moulded chimney piexes and coved ceilings at a
lower level than original which has joists on carved corbels;
has been painted, mostly renewed. Top of house remodelled
with straight skews and wall head gable late 17th or early
18th century; present doorpiece on W. wall architraved,
later 18th century.
N. WING Probably originally 17th century, remodelled or
rebuilt early 19th century and added to; additions
remodelling and repairs, A. Marshall Mackenzie 1890.
S. WING Single-storey remodelled or rebuilt second half of
GATE AND COURTYARD WALL ON W.
Gate dated 1673 on E. face. Arched, Renaissance detail,
semi-circular tympanum above entablature with ball
Statement of Special Interest
The initials 'GG' on the S.E. tower are those George Gordon,
son of Adam Gordon, Dean of Caithness. He bought Beldorney in
1545 and obtained Crown confirmation in 1550. He died
September 1575. Bulloch believed that the initials referred
to the 3rd laird and that the castle was built or completed
in the 17th century soon after 1627 but the late gothic
character of the detail makes so late a date very unlikely.
The details suggest that it is earlier than Terpersie and if
so it is the oldest surviving Z-plan house after Huntly.