Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
NS 34759 53871
234759, 653871


Circa 1805. 2-storey 3-bay L-plan terraced house with courtyard to rear enclosed by elevated garden. 4 stone steps to central recessed timber panelled door in moulded architrave with cavetto reveals and entablature; letterbox fanlight (altered). Cherry-caulked whinstone with droved sandstone tabs; rubble foundations with painted ashlar base course; raised and painted window and angle margins, eaves course and moulded eaves cornice.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: square-plan stair tower in re-entrant angle of rear range with tall single window. Additional brick-built outer stair from ground to 1st floor of adjoining 39 & 41 Eglinton Street (separately listed) covered with corrugated metal.

REAR RANGE: 3 bays to W.

Original timber sash and case 12-pane glazing to front windows; later glazing to rear including 4-pane plate glass sashes and modern timber framed glazing. One original 16-pane window to ground rear. Grey slates in diminishing courses; stone ridge to main building. 2 droved ashlar corniced gable stacks; some original octagonal clay cans; later red brick stack and further ashlar stack to rear range. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

STAIRS, RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: flagged yard with long flight of stone stairs with cast-iron railings to elevated ground at rear. Ashlar sandstone obelisk piers and cast-iron railings; rubble whinstone wall to side and rear.

INTERIOR: much fine original decorative wood and plasterwork. Typical classical plan with symmetrical plan around central hall and staircase (vestibule and hall covered with modern panelling). Stair with cast-iron balustrade (acanthus motifs) and mahogany handrail. Former dining room: original black fossiliferous marble chimneypiece (bricked-up hearth); flanking 6-field panelled press doors; chair rail; window embrasure with reeded surround and panelled shutters (top and bottom separate); elaborate cornice with dentil, guilloche, rosette and diaper mouldings; blocked opening through to former morning room at rear. Former morning room: original reed-moulded timber chimneypiece with corner roundels; Edwardian gas lamp to wall above; chair rail; plain moulded cornice; blocked architrave. Former study: plain chimneypiece; panelled press door to L; cornice with egg and dart moulding and cotton reel astragal; ceiling with square fleuron at each corner; iron door to concrete-lined strong room; safe by Fraser & Co, Glasgow. 1st floor former drawing room (later scheme): chimneypiece with blue tiled insert flanked by panelled press cupboard doors; foliate cornice and ceiling rose. Service wing (rear range): stone service stair with plain cast-iron balustrade and mahogany handrail. Well in laundry room.

Statement of Special Interest

Eglinton Street is the grandest street in Beith and would have been a suitable address for a prominent Beithite (see below). The interior scheme is classical with an element of fashionable Regency style (particularly in the original chimney-pieces.) The original 6-field panelled doors and the window embrasures are of a high quality and intact throughout. The exterior is very well preserved and an excellent example of its type. Whinstone is a relatively uncommon domestic building material in Ayrshire (though often seen in the Borders), and is more usually employed for road construction due to its immense hardness. There are a handful of contemporary whinstone examples in Beith including 33, 35, 39, 41 and 60 Eglinton Street and the return of 15-19 Main Street (all separately listed). Whinstone was quarried in many areas outside Beith particularly to the N and E, and at Barrmill.

The first owner of 37 Eglinton Street is recorded in the title deeds as James Crawford, thread manufacturer in Beith. He established Crawford Brothers in 1775 at Crummock in Beith. In 1836 the Crawford family built a mill for spinning flax in 'North-bar', SE of Beith, which employed at least 80 people. Several houses were built there to accommodate workers and thus the village of Barrmill was formed. Crawford feued the land in Eglinton Street in 1805 from Mrs Rebeckah Montgomerie and continued to live at No 37 until his death in 1849 when the house passed to his son Hugh. In 1871 it passed to Hugh's brothers James Crawford and Allan Campbell Crawford. The property has been in the ownership of Stewart & Osborne Solicitors since 1938.



Deeds to property first dated 1805. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND VOL V (1839) p591. Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858. Donald Reid OLD BEITH (2000). Information courtesy of Mr J S Paterson, Stewart & Osborne Solicitors, Beith.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 37 EGLINTON STREET, INCLUDING STAIRS, BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS TO REAR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:34