Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KYLNADROCHIT AND STABLESLB8923

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/11/1987
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Kirkmichael (Moray)
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NJ 14920 19888
Coordinates
314920, 819888

Description

George Mackie Watson, circa 1900. Large Scottish renaissance

house; asymmetrical 2 storeys and attic with extended single

storey and attic service wing to N gable. Coursed rubble,

tooled dressings.

Main entrance under segmental pediment in right bay of wide

irregular gabled W elevation. 3 wide bays to S elevation;

advanced left bay with paired windows. 1st floor and attic

under shaped gable, and semi-octagonal bay window with

parapet to right. E elevation with canted bay and canted

oriel. Gabletted dormers; crowstepped gables; ridge and end

corniced stacks; slate roof; stone ridge.

STABLES: U-plan single storey and attic stables and carriage

house; 3-bay centre block with centre carriage house flanked

by round-headed recesses, with window right and stable

entrance left. Centre louvred bellcote; loft dormers; ridge

and end stacks; slate roof; stone ridge.

Statement of Special Interest

Land purchased 1898 for "proposed villa' from Duke of Gordon

and Richmond by Lady Grant Suttie of Balgone and

Prestongrange. According to V Gaffney, the house was built by

Rev George Smith, native of Strathavon, and Minister of

Prestonpans. Later sold back to Duke of Richmond and Gordon

to replace the Lecht Lodge destroyed by fire in 1915.

Now a shooting lodge hotel. Mackie Watson's practice was extensive and diverse, ranging from domestic, civic, ecclesiastical to restoration work.

References

Bibliography

RIBA nomination papers, 1911, courtesy of Walker Dictionary of Scottish Architects. BANFFSHIRE HERALD, 16 March 1898. Victor Gaffney, TOMINTOUL ITS GLENS AND ITS PEOPLES (1970), p. 34.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KYLNADROCHIT AND STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/05/2024 22:31