Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

46 EGLINTON STREETLB889

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/12/1980
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Beith
NGR
NS 34716 53887
Coordinates
234716, 653887

Description

Circa 1830. 2-storey 3-bay classical villa with late 19th century dormers; subdivided early 20th century. Shallow advanced bay to centre; original timber panelled outer door with letterbox fanlight recessed within moulded architrave; scroll-bracketed cornice above. Windows with raised cills; architraved surrounds to 1st floor. Base course; eaves course and cornice; centrally raised panelled blocking course. 2 large 4-light piended canted dormers. Later (cement) rendered façade; sandstone rubble to side and rear with raised margins.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 storeys, attic and basement; irregular fenestration.

Timber sash and case plate glass windows to 1st floor (originally 12-pane, astragals knocked-out), uPVC windows to ground; 1 original window to ground rear with 12-pane upper and lower sashes, 1 16-pane window to basement. Grey slates; straight skews; brick end stacks with octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: entrance hall with later classical-style vestibule doors to either dwelling; bracketed depressed arch and dentil cornice. Stone stair to 1st floor with later timber balustrade, original cast-iron section to landing with mahogany handrail surviving; domed cupola above with moulded panels and dentil cornice. Later timber stair to attic with cast-iron balustrade and mahogany handrail. Former drawing room with fine anthemion and palmette cornice with ancathus fleurons above, cornucopia frieze below; elaborate leaf design ceiling rose. Panelled doors with 8 fields throughout, those in 1st floor drawing room with timber pilasters supporting entablatures. No surviving original chimneypieces; that to 1st floor sitting room Edwardian carved oak overmantel, green glazed tile slip and brass hood.

Statement of Special Interest

Eglinton Street in the early 19th century was populated by prosperous merchants, manufacturers and professionals. The grandest houses in the street are on this, the north side, and are largely of a later date than those on the opposite side. No 46 was probably subdivided into two dwellings circa 1900, when the attic stair and dormers were added. Prior to this, the house was typical of its type in that a broad entrance hall gave access to four rooms including the dining room; in the basement was the kitchen, larder (apparently still with marble shelves, not seen 2003) and laundry. Servants were likely accommodated in the basement too. On the principal first floor, reached by the stone stair lit by a domed cupola, the broad hall gave access to the drawing room at the front of the house. This room, with its two south facing windows, is brighter and more decorative than any other in the house. The plasterwork of the ceiling and cornice is fine and fashionable for a provincial town, the anthemion and palmette design being a key component of Regency decoration.

References

Bibliography

Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 46 EGLINTON STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 02:48