Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 25178 7500
325178, 707500


John Kinross, 1891-2. Single, semi-circular arched, gentle hog-backed bridge over public road with adjoining wall and round-arched gateway to E. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar parapet and intrados. Rusticated buttresses. Channelled vouissors. Coped parapet with base course and square-plan terminal piers.

WALL AND GATEWAY TO E: coped squared and snecked rubble wall with band course. Round-arched gateway with channelled voussiors and impost course. 2-leaf slatted timber gate, leading to Falkland Palace policies.

Statement of Special Interest

This bridge is forms important part of the wider designed landscape and links the two estates of Falkland Place and House of Falkland. The stone work is well detailed and the bridge has a gentle hump-backed slope which adds to its interest. The use of architectural detailing, including the rusticated buttresses and channelled vouissoirs link the bridge stylistically to the rest of the building forming the estate. The gateway and linking wall form part of boundary of Falkland Palace Estate.

When the 3rd Marquis of Bute became Keeper of the Palace and the owner of House of Falkland Estate in 1887. Falkland Palace was in great need of repair. He employed John Kinross to carry out restoration work to the building and Kinross also erected this bridge as part of a private walk between the two estates.

John Kinross (1855-1931) was one of Scotland's leading architects of the period. Much of his later work involved restoration, including here, at Falkland Palace. This was one of a number of projects he carried out whilst benefitting from the patronage of the 3rd Marquis of Bute. He also worked on a number of country houses, notably Manderston in the Borders.

House of Falkland Estate and Falkland Palace are closely linked. The House of Falkland Estate, which lies immediately to the West is formed by land that was gifted to the Keeper of Falkland Palace and also land that was acquired. In its present form, the estate dates from the early 19th century when it was acquired by John Bruce when he became Keeper of the Palace of Falkland in 1821. During his time at the estate, Bruce improved the lands around the existing estate house, Nuthill House (now demolished), built the Stables (see separate listing), and cascades and bridges were erected over the Mill and Maspie Burns.

On his death in 1826, his niece Margaret Bruce inherited the Estate. She married Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce in 1828 and they made the decision to demolish Nuthill House and to build a new residence. The architect for the new house was William Burn and the house was built in 1839-44. The 3rd Marquis of Bute then bought the Estate in 1887 and he employed Robert Weir Schultz and William Frame to carry out interior work in the House. The house was used as a convalescent home in the First World War and as a home for Polish Airmen in the Second World War. The House of Falkland is currently a school (2011).

(List description updated 2011).



2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1893-5). Dictionary of Scottish Architects, (accessed 02-12-10). Derek Carter Associates, Historic Landscape survey and restoration plan for House of Falkland Designed Landscape Project RCAHMS, MS2589 (2001).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRIVATE BRIDGE BETWEEN PALACE AND HOUSE OF FALKLAND OVER CASTLE SHOTTS DRIVE, WITH WALL AND GATEWAY ON EAST SIDE OF CASTLE SHOTTS DRIVE.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2023 09:26