Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

31 BRAEHEAD, CLYDESDALE BANK, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB879

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/12/1980
Supplementary Information Updated
31/03/2004
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Beith
NGR
NS 34882 53875
Coordinates
234882, 653875

Description

1906. 2-storey L-plan bank and bankhouse in Free Baronial style with single storey service ranges to rear. 4 bays to Braehead plus bold octagonal 3-storey engaged angle turret at corner of Braehead and Townhead Street with conical slated roof and ball finial. Projecting bracketed eaves to principal elevation broken by wallhead gables; irregular fenestration, some roll-moulded and round-arch headed openings. Stugged, squared and snecked red sandstone; polished ashlar dressings; hoodmoulds linked as stringcourse between ground and 1st floors.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bankhouse with bowed oriel to ground and 1st floors to outer L; blocked entrance to L (now auto-teller) within round-arched surround with bracketed hood; single window above. 2 bays to bank at centre R with small bipartite to 1st floor L. 4 steps to recessed bank entrance at base of turret with timber panelled 2-leaf outer door; 'BANK' carved above; Doric columned doorpiece with acanthus consoles with thistle detail supporting entablature, carved fretwork above; small oval window to L and R ground with wrought-iron grilles; 1st floor windows corniced with elaborate strapwork over; 3 small windows to attic divided by attenuated brackets.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey piended roof range in re-entrant angle of L-plan; piended roof single storey and attic range at right angles to R with dormer, 3 bays to S elevation; catslide wallhead dormers; tripartite stair window.

S GABLE: 2-bay gable; single storey wing with blocked bipartite to R.

N GABLE: 2 bays.

Timber plate glass sashes. Greyish-green slates laid in diminishing courses; tall corniced ashlar gable, wallhead and ridge stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods with shaped hoppers.

INTERIOR: Bank: vestibule with part glazed inner doors and cornice; largely modern bank interior; original timber panelled dado and window embrasures; strong room with plaque 'William Paterson & Son, Smiths, Gasfitters, Bellhangers, Glasgow'; unpainted timber chimneypiece (ground floor) with tiled slip; unpainted attic timber chimneypiece with orange tiled slip and cast-iron hood. Bankhouse: turned timber balustrade to staircase; tripartite stained glass stair window with foliate motifs; guilloche band above cornice to 1st floor principal room and arch to oriel bay (in turret); timber stair to attic; timber panelled doors (unpainted); timber and part-glazed door to turret room; timber boarded surrounds to small windows.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped squared and snecked red sandstone walls of various heights to front and sides; square gatepiers to bankhouse with centrally raised caps; coped random rubble grey stone wall to rear.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a prominent red Mauchline sandstone building in a style more reminiscent of Glasgow than Beith. The only red sandstone building in the town, the bank is located in the centre of Beith and remains largely intact. An earlier bank building on this site is marked on the 2nd edition OS map of 1897. The architect remains unknown but it is possible that it was a Glasgow architect or perhaps a firm from Ayr who was responsible for the design. Indeed the firm of Baird and Thomson may have undertaken the commission as they were employed by the Clydsedale Bank to design premises in Glasgow.

References

Bibliography

First marked on OS map of 1910. Robert Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992) p95.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 31 BRAEHEAD, CLYDESDALE BANK, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 02:14