There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 20/07/1971
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 18790 87559
- Coordinates: 218790, 687559
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Ardentinny Church, built in 1838-9, is a rectangular gable-fronted church with a gabled porch and a small bellcote. It is simple in its design and largely without ornament, but reflects well on the status of Ardentinny at the time, a small village, reliant on fishing and ferry traffic.
For its position in the development of Ardentinny, its prominent and picturesque location and the contribution it makes to the streetscape, in particular in relation to the adjacent cottages, as well as for its unaltered condition, is found to be of specific interest.
The entrance to the church (on the NW elevation) is through a basket-arched door with a chamfered ashlar surround. The two-leaf panelled timber door has a plain fanlight above. Both the main church building and the front porch have saddle-backed skews. The bellcote to the apex is on a dentilled plinth, with stop-chamfered round-arched openings. The side elevations consist of three large 16-lying-pane timber sash and case windows. To the rear is a small projection containing the vestry. To the front of the church is a rubble boundary wall with semicircular copes.
Interior: the interior is largely undecorated, with timber boarding to dado height and plain timber pews. Behind the altar is a dark timber sounding-board and canopy. The flat ceiling, at collar height is decorated only with a plain cornice and linear mouldings.
Materials: white painted harled rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings. Graded slate roof. Timber sash and case windows.
Statement of Special Interest
The church at Ardentinny was built in 1838-9, paid for by Archibald Douglas, the Laird of Glenfinart, who had recently purchased the estate (Ardentinny Pamphlet, 2004). Initially, the church was a Chapel of Ease or preaching station, probationers of the church acting as parochial missionaries (New Statistical Account, 1845). From 1874 Ardentinny Church had its own minister but since 1932 the church has shared a minister with Strone church.
Part of a B-group with Blinkbonny, Raglan, Fern Cottage and Glencairn immediately to the S (see separate listing).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c.1898); New Statistical Account for Scotland (c1845); Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer (1885); Ardentinny Church and Village Story (pamphlet) (n.d.); Walker, F.A and Sinclair, F., North Clyde Estuary: an Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 137; Walker, F.A., Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 113.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.