Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TAMDHU DISTILLERY, FORMER KNOCKANDO RAILWAY STATION TICKET OFFICE/WAITING ROOM AND SIGNAL BOXLB8502

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/11/1987
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Knockando
NGR
NJ 19117 41685
Coordinates
319117, 841685

Description

1896-9. Former station ticket office and waiting room; single storey weatherboarded building with contrasting margins. Long elevations N (entrance) and S (platform) with slightly lower single bay flat roofed extensions (also weatherboarded) at E and W gables.

2 doors, irregular fenestration to N elevation. 5 wide bays with slightly recessed 3 centre bays with panelled centre door to S elevation; tripartite windows. All windows with decorative glazing to upper lights; piended slate roof with bracketted eaves; decorative red tile ridge and apex finials.

SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NJ 19055, 41707): Great North of Scotland Railway Company, 1899. Small, weatherboarded signal box with small lean-to porch at E gable approached by short flight wooded steps. 5-light glazed frontage; rear stack of polychromtic brickwork. Piended slate roof with red ridge tiles. INTERIOR: 7 lever frame.

Statement of Special Interest

The former Knockando Station buildings are an interesting and rare survivor. The station on this long disused section of railway between Grantown (East) and Craigellachie, established in 1863, was at first called Dalbeallie (the name of nearby small farm) to the dismay of local people who had raised 3000 pounds to finance construction of 3/4 mile road with bridges leading from Knockando village to the new railway station. The buildings have been sensitively restored as part of the former Tamdhu Distillery visitor centre. The Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR) covered ground from Ballater up to Elgin and to Fraserburgh.

Signal boxes are a distinctive and increasingly rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013) with all pre-1948 mechanical boxes still in operation on the public network due to become obsolete by 2021. The Knockando signal box is a small and well detailed example of a GNSR Type 3 box, distinguished by its polychromatic brick chimney and survival of its original lever frame. Less than 10 of more than 150 signal boxes by this major company are known to survive.

List description and statutory address revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1895). Elgin Courant And Courier, 15 Sept 1896; 7 May 1897 and 4 July 1899. The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide To Designs (1986). Peter Kay and Derek Coe, Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland (2010 - 3rd Edition).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TAMDHU DISTILLERY, FORMER KNOCKANDO RAILWAY STATION TICKET OFFICE/WAITING ROOM AND SIGNAL BOX

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 06:30