Circa 1795. Symmetrical single storey, wide 3-bay cottage
with small square, single storey, single bay advanced
pavilion wings forming S facing shallow U-plan. Mixed squared
and tooled pink and yellow local granite, harl pointed
granite rubble rear. Later lean-to rubble additions project
from E and W gables, infilling re-entrant angles formed by
pavilions. Small fanlight to centre door; double-leaf
panelled doors; flanking windows, single windows in front of
each pavilion, entrances with glazed upper lights in inner
faces. 12-pane glazing; modern glazing to centre rear and
modern rear window in E lean-to. Coped end wallhead stacks
to centre block and pavilions; piended local slate roofs.
INTERIOR: restoration of 1970s and early 80s has retained
main elements of internal lay-out. New chimneypieces;
restored corniced ceiling in main public room incorporating
original scroll brackets.
GATEPIERS AND ENCLOSING WALLS: pair tall square tooled
granite gatepiers with plain square caps; low coped flanking
hemicycle quadrants and front retaining wall with spearhead
railings, stiffened at intervals with thicker bars capped
with urn finials.
Rubble rear and side walls.
Statement of Special Interest
Built on site of 3 feus granted by Sir Archibald Grant of
Monimusk to Robert Cruikshank, 'Gardener......lately returned
Home of parents of Donald Alexander Smith, Lord Strathcona
and Mount Royal of Canadian Pacific Railway fame, from 1841
- circa 1860.
Unusual miniature version of formal 18th century Laird's
Attractive use of chequered local granite which is hard and
intractable for tooling.
Restoration begun 1973.