Later 18th century, with early 19th century work and with mid 19th century addition and alteration. Symmetrical 2-storey and attic 3-bay simple classical villa; band course above basement on ground falling to rear. Sandstone rubble (harl removed) with polished cream ashlar dressings. Moulded eaves, long and short quoins, ground floor windows slightly taller. Mid 19th century service wing to N, detailed as above but with solid parapet and still.
W (ENTRANCE) FRONT: centre bay slightly advanced with blocking course, slender quoin strips; pilastered and corniced tripartite doorpiece with panelled door, 4-pane rectangular fanlight and 4-pane sidelights; tripartite window above, slate-hung box-dormer at centre. Windows to each floor of flanking bays. 3-bay wing set back to outer left, single storey on raised basement; details as above but with flat roof and harled; left window smaller.
S ELEVATION: 2-storey and attic 3-bay on raised basement; windows to all floors of all bays; central dormer, as above.
E ELEVATION: 2-strorey and attic 3-bay on raised basement; central bay canted with quoin strips to leading edges, single window to each face and blocking course; windows to all floors of all bays; central dormer, as above. To outer right, 2-storey 3-bay wing; irregular fenestration; at ground, large bipartite window to left, single windo at centre, pair of narrow windows to right; single window to each bay at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: as S elevation but with wallhead stack at centre, and projecting wing covering ground and basement of 2 right bays; wing with door and window at basement level and window above. Much later double garage at ground to right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows, 9-pane to basement, 8-pane to sides of canted bay. Piend and platform roof, grey slates; coped ashlar stacks, octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby leads to central stair hall lit by drum cupola; delicate neo-classical plasterwork to principal rooms. Dining room with Greek key frieze and pilastered sideboard recess in end wall (now converted to kitched). 19th century kitchen and service rooms largely survive in basement.
WALLED GARDEN: coped rubble walls, approx 2.5m high; originally rectangular, extended with canted side walls in mid 19th century.
Square piend-roofed apple store and greenhouse on NW wall. Sited on S facing slope to SW of house.
Statement of Special Interest
The house and estate were acquired by the Lothian family as a dower house in about 1840, and the service wing added then. B Group with stables, still surviving to the SW, and the entrance lodge on the
A68 (see separate listings). There is a small tile-hung bungalow on the lawn to the E of the house, built in the 1970s. The interior has marked similarities to that at Glenburn Hall. The NSA describes Bonjedward as a 'modern mansion house' in 1834. It seems there was an earlier building on or near the site from 1671.