Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KILLIN, KINNELL HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGSLB8283

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Killin
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 57793 32905
Coordinates
257793, 732905

Description

Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

A former seat of the Macnab clan, it is likely that Kinnell House contains fabric dating back to circa 1580, although its present 2-storey and attic 5-bay form was probably created in the 18th century. A single storey and attic wing was added to the East circa 1850 and it is probable that the timber bargeboards also date from this period. The house is set within the South-Eastern wall of a large rectangular plan walled garden. Kinnell House is an important part of Macnab clan history and is of a traditional form with its central projecting gable. It has much simple architectural character and its 5-bay form sets it apart from the other 3-bay houses in the district of this type. It has a fine interior. The walled garden was an important integral part of the estate and this example, unusually, retains the heating equipment (although the resultant piping is no longer extant).

The (South East) principal elevation consists of a central advanced single bay entrance gable with a tall gable stack flanked by a pair of bays, that to the left with elongated windows to the 1st floor. To the attic floor on the right is a gabled dormer with a bipartite window. There are thackstoned gable stacks to the South West and North East elevations. To the far right there is a single storey and attic wing added sympathetically in 1923. To the far left is a heavily restored (in the late 20th century) long lean-to timber vinery glasshouse. There are only a few remnants remaining of the once-huge Black Hamburg vine which was brought from Auchlyne in 1832.

To the rear (North West) elevation there is a central 2-bay piended section which breaks the eaves. To the left is a 2-bay section and to the right is a recessed section which is blank save for a low ground floor window.

INTERIOR

There is a predominantly simple interior which retains much of its architectural character. There is a timber turnpike staircase and 6-panel timber doors. The library has a good decorative scheme which includes a decorative cornice, timber chimneypiece with reed pilasters, shell motifs and a central panel with a lady in classical dress reputed to be Lady Hamilton (information from present owner). This is flanked by timber bookshelves. Facing the windows is a recess supported by classical columns with plaster heads above and which formerly contained a Raeburn painting (now no longer part of the house contents). The heads may be a representation of the heads brought back from Lochearn when the Macnab sons raided a rival clan.

MATERIALS

Predominantly white harl. Predominantly timber sash and case windows, 6-pane over 6-pane. Slate roof.

WALLED GARDEN AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGS

The rectangular walled garden is composed of high stone rubble walls. There is an arched opening in the South East wall. Running from the house itself to the arched opening is a series of terraced lean-to rubble-built buildings with slate roofs. One of these buildings contains the cast-iron heating equipment which would have heated the vinery (on the opposite side of the wall) and possibly the other walls of the garden itself.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-group with 1st set of Urn Gatepiers on West Drive, Kinnell Urn Gatepiers on West Drive, Lion Gatepiers on West Drive, Ball Finial Gatepiers on South Drive, Yellow Cottage, Kinnell House Steading, Kinnell House Ice House.

References

Bibliography

New Statistical Account, Killin Parish (1843) p1085; W A Gillies, In Famed Breadalbane (2nd ed 1987) p112-3; C McKean, Stirling and The Trossachs (1994), p 105; Gifford, J et al, The Buildings of Scotland - Stirling and Central Scotland (2002), p554; B Byrom, Old Killin, Kenmore and Loch Tay (2004), p 8.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILLIN, KINNELL HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN AND ANCILLARY BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 14:34