Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KILTARLITY PARISH CHURCH OF SCOTLAND AND BURIAL GROUND, TOMNACROSSLB8078

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Kiltarlity And Convinth
NGR
NH 51272 41373
Coordinates
251272, 841373

Description

1829, with some late 19th century internal alterations in

style of John Robertson, Inverness. Tall rectangular church

orientated E-W. Harl pointed rubble harled W gable, tooled

long and short ashlar dressings to windows and margins. Main

entrance with re-used 1626 date-stone to right, in centre

of E gable below round-headed fanlight, similar gallery window

above; paired similar windows in W gable above canted single

storey Minister's porch; 3 long round-headed windows light N

and S elevations; multi-pane glazing with intersecting

astragals. Small porch in centre of S elevation below

shortened window. Rectangular bellcote for 2 bells at W gable

apex with cope supported by 6 small Roman Doric columns;

single bell survives. Slate Roof.

Interior, galleried interior to 3 sides with pulpit in centre

W gable. Original panelled front to shortened gallery

resulting in enlarged entrance lobby and room above. Gallery

supported by chamfered square wooden pilasters (original).

Late 19th century open timber roof with cusped detailing

supported by wooden columns rising from gallery. Late 19th

century cusped panelled circular pulpit on hour-glass base

set behind balustrade of similar design. Late 19th century

pews.

Burial ground; roughly square walled burial ground surrounds

church. Drystone walls with rough copes. Pair square panelled

monolith ashlar gatepiers with square caps and pair simple

cast-iron gates; similar pedestrian entrance. 19th and 20th

century tombstones.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Site of earlier

church built in 1763 (succeeding the earlier Kiltarlity

church of 1626 elsewhere). Tomnacross formerly TOM NA CROISE,

the Hillock of the Cross. Datestone initialled MWF (Master

William Fraser) dated 1626 probably moved from earlier

Kiltarlity Church (see old burial ground) built at that date,

Master William Fraser Minister, 1618-1665.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1794) p. 520. NEW STATISTICAL

ACCOUNT XIV (1841), pp. 499-500 FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE

vi (1926), p.468.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILTARLITY PARISH CHURCH OF SCOTLAND AND BURIAL GROUND, TOMNACROSS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:18