Samuel Beasley, 1833. Imposing Tudor Gothic mansion with
both Gothic and Romanesque detailing. 2 storeys with
central square tribune tower rising single storey above
roofline, over raised basement. SE entrance front and NW
garden elevation. Polished and tooled ashlar. Turretted
entrance front stepping forward from outer octagonal turrets
to projecting porte-cochere with tall slender intermediate
turrets. Garden and side elevations with canted bays full
height with oriel to garden with diminutive lantern finials
marking central garden front. Double string courses between
ground and 1st floors.
Varied fenestration, mainly hoodmoulded some windows with
4-centred arched pointed-heads; 7-light tripartites and
bipartites with Y-tracery; multi-pane glazing, some
Corbelled and crenellated wallheads masking shallow piended
slated roofs; symmetrical batteries of tall stacks; original
rainwater goods, principal heads decorated with embossed
boarheads. Garden terraces; terraces with carved ashlar
balustrades front SE return elevation and descend to garden.
Terrace fronting raised basement at NW lowered in 1930 to
provide internal light, revealing complete fenestration.
Interior; wide entrance hall with ashlar chimney piece with
chevron detailing and original hearth. Centre stairhall rises
3 storeys through galleried tower; decorative corbesl to
gallery with cusped balustrade. Cusped ashlar balustrade to
imperial stair with tall chimney piece with chevron and ball
decoration at half landing.
Drawing room; white and gold decoration; ogee doorpieces;
panelled doors and window shutters; Gothic detailing to white
marble chimney piece; decorative ribbed ceiling with centre
boss. Library; octagonal room with grained walls and
ceilings, original bookshelves. Some gilded festoons to
ceiling and central boss; marble chimney piece.
Dining room: grained walls and coffered ceiling; moulded
ceiling joists supported by shallow corbelled braces; black
marble chimney piece; ogee doorpieces. 1st floor rooms open
off galleried corridor; plaster cornices and fine marble
Statement of Special Interest
Built for Col. John Baillie, MP, whose arms are carved on
porte-cochere. Baillie boars embossed on waterheads. Small
(1919) plaque by main entrance records use of mansion as
auxiliary hospital 1914-19 war. Hopeman, Moray, stone used
throughout and for staircase balustrade (information by
courtesy the present owner, 1984). Leys formerly in detached
portion of Croy and Dalcross Parish.