Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DOCHFOUR, BONA FREE CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUNDLB8043

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Inverness And Bona
NGR
NH 60241 38564
Coordinates
260241, 838564

Description

Circa 1846 with later 19th century (probably 1865)

alterations. Plain rectangular church with long N and S

elevation. Harled with tooled ashlar dressings; bullfaced

rubble E gable. Later 19th century entrance in E gable under spade-pointed head with roll-moulded arrises, hoodmould

terminating in floreated stops. 3 long windows with similar

heads surround entrance; simple bellcote at apex. 2 shallow segmental-headed narrow windows light N and S elevations;

Minster's porch with end stack and piended roof projects at

centre S. W gable fenestration partially blocked by later

single storey, gabled wing.

Square pattern leaded glazing; slate roofs.

Burial ground; earlier burial ground with 18th and 19th

century tombstones. Pair square ashlar gate piers with

inscription and pedimented caps dated 1865. Pair spearhead

carriage gates. Matching spearhead railings (also 1865) rise

from low coped burial ground wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Free Church built on

site of earlier Church of Scotland. Gate piers gifted by Evan

Cameron 1865 who repaired both church and burial ground.

Was Item 1 on 1971 Statutory List.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiv (1835), p.14. W Ewing, ANNALS OF

THE FREE CHURCH ii (1914), p.208.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DOCHFOUR, BONA FREE CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/10/2021 14:32