Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KILCOY CASTLELB8007

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/03/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Killearnan
NGR
NH 57662 51236
Coordinates
257662, 851236

Description

Circa 1620, large Z-plan tower, rubble 4 storeys with

steeply pedimented ornamental dormerheads at third floor

windows. Main block orientated east-west of 3 bays grouped

1/2 with centre window at first floor flanked by minimally

ogee-arched panels (now filled with initials AWR and TIR and

date 1968 to record recent restoration). At north-west angle

tall conical-roofed drum tower with corbelled out stair

turret in re-entrant angle; at south-east angle circular

tower corbelled out to square at second floor; in re-entrant

angle at south-east, stair-turret corbelled out above

first floor. Circular conical-roofed bartizans at

south-west and north-east angles. Plentiful supply of

shortholes and loopholes; carved gargoyle spouts at towers;

crowsteps. Restoration (the tower was roofless) and additions,

Ross and Macbeth, 1850-6: new round-arched doorway made at

centre of south front, original door in south-east re-entrant

angle being converted to window; 4-storey rear wing, plain

with crowstepped gable, built at north with small single-storey

service court beyond it. Vaulted ground floor rooms; at

first floor hall, chimneypiece dated 1679 carved with heraldic

bearings, a hound and a hare (representations of courage

and timidity) and mermaids playing on harps. Remains of

barmkin wall.

Statement of Special Interest

De-scheduled 2 September 1997.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILCOY CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 06:22