Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Latheron Old Parish Church and Burial Ground, excluding Scheduled Monument No 3295 'Latheron Old Church and The Aisle', LatheronLB7952

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/04/1971
Last Date Amended
27/08/2015
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Latheron
NGR
ND 20224 33310
Coordinates
320224, 933310

Description

1734. T-plan church, rendered and lined as ashlar, ashlar margins to all windows. Stumpy square (1822) tower projects at north gable, with centre porch in base; tower rises to square bellcote with simple round-headed arch in each face, angle pilasters, all supporting facetted domed lead roof on octagonal base. 4 windows symmetrically placed in south elevation; single windows in elevation of 1822 north wing, and in east and west gables. 10-pane glazing; composite tiled roof.

Interior cleared for use as Clan Gunn museum; octagonal panelled pulpit stands in centre of south wall, with flanking stairs; some bench seating and mural memorials.

Drystone walled burial ground with 3 rubble gatepiers flanking pedestrian and carriage entrances. Burial ground filled with closely packed tombstones of high quality of 17, 18th and 19th century date. Small gabled rubble watch house.

Statement of Special Interest

The ground beneath Latheron Old Parish Church is scheduled as 'Latheron Old Church & The Aisle' (Scheduled Monument No 3295) and is excluded from the listing. Significant upstanding and below-ground archaeological remains may survive as part of and in addition to the structures and features described above.

Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2015. Previously listed as 'Latheron Old Parish Church and Burial Ground.'

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 8657

New Statistical Account (1834-45) Latheron, County of Caithness, Vol. 15. p.106.

Hay, G. (1957) The Architecture Of Scottish Post-Reformation Churches Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp.173, 175.

Scottish Women's Rural Institute (1968) A History Of Latheron District .Thurso: Caithness Books. p.5.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Latheron Old Parish Church and Burial Ground, excluding Scheduled Monument No 3295 'Latheron Old Church and The Aisle', Latheron

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/04/2024 00:24