Castle; late 16th/early 17th century, probably incorporating
earlier work, with considerable alterations and additions,
D & J Bryce, circa 1881.
All harled with ashlar margins and dressings.
Symmetrical NE front, 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays with
long angle bartizans with bellcast conical roofs. Later
19th century round-headed moulded doorpiece with cable
moulded hoodmould terminating with simulated knot flanked by
shot holes and at 1st floor, by bowed stair turrets
projecting at 1st floor level with decorative corbelled bases
and terminating in square gabled caphouses. Regular
fenestration to frontage, with small 3rd floor windows and 3
ornately pedimented dormers breaking wallhead. Sinclair arms
in panel set in right stair turret.
Square tower rises at NE angle with corbelled and crenellated
parapet rising above ridge line. Extensive asymmetrical
2-storey and attic additions at SE, with angle window and
turret, pedimented dormers and 1st floor oriel at NE. Mainly
12-pane glazing; margined end, ridge and wallhead stacks;
crowsteps; slate roofs.
Extensive crenellated retaining terrace wall forms U-shape
enclosure to castle, outlining peninsular site, with
occasional bartizan and round terminal piers.
Walled gardens and garden pavilion; 2 walled gardens flank
approach drive, each with coped rubble walls. That to south
has various re-used stone carvings including 17th century
In north walled garden, later 19th century single storey,
wide 5-bay former laundry rubble with tooled dressings;
centre door with semi-circular fanlight; paired round-headed
windows in outer bays; paired windows in east gable;
multi-pane glazing; round dormer vents; corniced end stacks;