Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

COREHOUSELB7679

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
21/04/1980
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Lesmahagow
NGR
NS 88227 41580
Coordinates
288227, 641580

Description

Edward Blore, 1824-1827. 2-storey and attic, irregular plan, asymmetrical, multi-gabled Tudor Revival country house raised on balustraded stone terrace with octagonal tower to SW, stone-mullioned windows, gabletted dormers and prominent, diagonally-set stacks. Squared, coursed, bull-faced masonry with ashlar dressings. Base course; discontinuous eaves cornice; gabletted parapets to canted windows. Predominantly bi- and tripartite windows; hoodmoulds with label stops; gablets breaking eaves to first floor windows. Finials to gables and gablets.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal entrance elevation of 4 blocks stepping down and back to right. Off-centre gabled porch with Jacobean scroll-work cartouche flanked by finials to canted lobby behind. NE elevation with central canted window at ground floor and gable between two pairs of stacks. SE (garden) elevation of 2 main blocks with recessed central section. Service court to SW with free-standing tower with pointed roof and gableted finials.

Predominantly 3- and 4- pane glazing in timber windows with opening top hopper. Saddle back skews with kneelered skewputts. Tall, clustered, diagonally-set corniced stacks with clay cans. Grey slates.

TERRACE: house raised on terrace with saddleback coped wall, decorative stone balusters and ball finialled piers; swept steps to front door.

INTERIOR: exceptional surviving Tudor Revival interior. Compartmented ceiling to main hallway with ribs, pendants and elaborate cornicing; decorative oak staircase with panelled dado. Wainscot and decorative ceilings to many rooms including hall, drawing room, chapel, library and dining room. Timber shutters and panelled doors throughout.

Statement of Special Interest

Corehouse is of major importance in terms of both Scottish and UK architectural history and an important visual focus in the parkland of the estate and around which much of the landscape was designed. The Corehouse estate is one of the main components of the Falls of Clyde designated Designed Landscape and contributes to the outstanding scenic qualities of this part of the Clyde.

Corehouse is arguably the first example of an attempt at the authentic re-creation of the Elizabethan Cotswold manor house style, in which Blore subsequently designed many of his numerous country house commissions. It influenced a number of other country houses in England during the following century. In particular it is said to have influenced William Burn in some of his country houses, for example, Teviothead in Roxburghshire, and also been a formative element of his cottage style. Features of Corehouse were reproduced by Burn in miniaturised form at Snaigow, Perthshire, 1826-27.

Edward Blore (1787-1879) was one of the foremost country house architects of the mid-19th century. He started his career as a topographical artist. In about 1811 Blore was introduced to Sir Walter Scott who was about to embark the process of rebuilding Abbotsford. Blore provided some sketches for Scott which pleased the latter as they were 'less Gothic and more in the old-fashioned Scotch stile' than those by William Atkinson who had already provided designs for Scott. Although Scott did adopt some of Blore's ideas for the house and these were executed circa 1822-24, the main work that Blore did for Scott was as manager of the latterùs publication Provincial Antiquities and Picturesque of Scotland, as well as providing all the drawings which appeared from 1819.

It was Scott who introduced Blore to George Cranstoun, later Lord Corehouse. The new house is positioned near Corra Castle and back from the Clyde, with a broad swaithe of trees sheltering the building on three sides. The commission at Corehouse was one of Blore's earliest designs and it was followed rapidly by another Scottish country house, Freeland, in Perthshire, and then a succession of others houses in England. By the 1830s Blore had gained a reputation as a trustworthy architect whose estimates could be relied upon for accuracy and as a result he was given the task of completing Buckingham Palace after John Nash's dismissal.

Although considered by Howard Colvin as less able than Pugin in using his thorough knowledge of 15 and 16th century domestic architecture and transforming it into new country houses, nevertheless Blore's popularity at the time is evident from the number of country houses he designed (Colvin lists 62).

Other elements of the Corehouse designed landscape are also listed including the Conservatory and Flower Garden Walls, the Dovecot, the Mausoleum , the Stable Court and the Stove House (see separate listings).

A sunken walk was designed in parkland to the south of the mansion house, resembling a ha-ha, and allowing visitors to visit Corra Castle and Corra Linn without being seen from the main house.

List description updated 2010.

References

Bibliography

J M Leighton, Select Views of the Clyde (1830) p17. 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (1858). Clydesdale District Council, Historic Buildings of Clydesdale (1987). Howard Colvin: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840 (1995) p131. Adolf K. Placzek (ed.), Macmillan Encyclopaedia of Architects (1982). Historic Scotland, An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COREHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 18:03