Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
NT 3018 76485
303018, 676485


Possibly Campbell Walker, 1873. Symmetrical terrace of 6 single storey and attic cottage-orne cottages with single storey schoolhouse to W. Cream sandstone cyclopean rubble with rock-faced bands forming cill and lintel courses, ashlar dressings to principal elevations, snecked rubble to S (rear) elevation. Stop-chamfered reveals and stone mullions.

COTTAGES: tripartite windows at ground, bipartite above to N, E and W elevations, squared basket-arched doorways with boarded doors and decorative wrought-iron hinges, steep-gabled roof with grey slates and fishscale bands, deeply overhanging eaves with bargeboard. Tall, coped rock-faced stacks.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 recessed single storey and attic bays to centre; 2 doors to centre flanked by windows, 2 gabled dormers above; 2 M-gabled bays advanced to right and left; each pair with door towards centre bays with tripartite window to each bay at ground and bipartite attic window. Gabled return elevations to left and right with stone canopied door at centre flanked by narrow windows, bipartite to attic. Projecting single storey service wing to S.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: bay to centre with 2 doors flanked by projecting single storey service wings; 2 doors to bay to right with service wing to outer right, mirror image to left (with unfortunate addition of modern dormers and slates). 2 rooflights to centre, 2 to far right, 1 to outer right, 2 modern rooflights set lower to centre.

Diamond-pane leaded glazing pattern to casement windows.


W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 bays; door with timber gabled porch to centre, flanked by tripartite windows.

N AND S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: gabled; tripartite window with cusped lights set under steep relieving arch, lower half with sash and case windows and upper blind, divided by stone transom.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled projection at rear with tall stack near apex; modern flat-roofed harled extension.

Plate glass sash and case windows. Leaded fleche to centre of roof; 3 modern rooflights to E elevation.

Statement of Special Interest

A schoolhouse and six cottages at Kingscavil are first recorded in the 1873 valuation roll. RHJ Stewart of Champfleurie House is noted as the owner. Each cottage was rented at £4 pounds per annum, the School Board of the Parish of Linlithgow ran the school. Front roof, re-slated, circa 1990, using the best pattern slates salvaged from the rear. Application submitted late 1991 for refurbishment of two vacant cottages.



Valuation Rolls, VR 122/14 p73. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p270.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EDINBURGH ROAD KINGSCAVIL COTTAGES, INCLUDING FORMER SCHOOLHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 06:06