Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

CHAMPFLEURIE HOUSE WITH LODGE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB7478

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/06/1980
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
Parish
Linlithgow
NGR
NT 3488 76535
Coordinates
303488, 676535

Description

1851, NE and SW wings added slightly later. 2-storey over bsaement, asymmetrical roughly L-plan Jacobean style villa, with 2-storey and attic over basement wing to N and single storey 3-bay wing to SW. Coursed pinkish/cream sandstone, shlar dressings, quoins and canted bays. Eaves course, stone mullions to bipartite and tripartite windows, chamfered reveals, canted bays with blocking course and ball finials to N, S and W elevations, gabled and finialled dormerheads, gables with apex stacks.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-storey over basement circular entrance tower in re-entrant angle of L-plan with string course and eaves courses; steps to entrance with stone balustrades, dies, ball finials; architraved doorcase, keystone heraldic plaque over (lion and hand with sword, latin inscrption and date 1851). Panelled 2-leaf curved doors flanked by narrow windows with stepped hoodmould course. Narrow windows at 1st and 2nd floors. Ogeed roof, fishscale slates, lead apex, weathervane. Gabled and finialled bay advanced to right, bipartite window at ground, window at 1st, tablet in gable. Further advanced gabled bay (NE wing) to far right, 1 window to each storey. Single bay to left of tower, window at ground, dormerheaded window above. Rooflight.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, irregularly disposed windows; single bay to left (N face of NE wing), gabled at centre, canted window to basement and ground, window at 1st floor, tablet in gablehead; 2 gabled bays recessed to right, bipartite window at ground far right, octagonal corniced stair tower in re-entrant angle with string course, window at 1st stage, 2 windows above, polygonal roof; single storey over basement block adjoined in angle, with chamfered corner, string course, ashlar coped wallhead, abll finials, door to left, windows regularly disposed.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, canted window at basement and ground to left, 2 dormerheaded windows above, gabled bay to right with lower gabled SW wing abutting.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: single storey over basement, 3-bay (SW wing) with r egular fenestration to left. 3-storey canted window to right breaking eaves, flanked by windows at basement, slightly advanced gabled bay to outer right, windows to each storey, tripartite at ground. Variety of glazing patterns; plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, gablet coped skews, bracketted skewputts, kneelers, tall polygonal stacks on corbelled and moulded bases, decorated cans. Original rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: cast-iron barley-sugar twist balusters to main stair. Plaster cornices, marble chimneypieces.

LODGE: single storey, Tudor style. Cream stugged, coursed and squared sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings. Base course, stop chamfered reveals to windows and door, hoodmoulds.

W (entrance) elevation: 3-bays, advanced gabled and finialled porch to outer right, segmental-headed doorpiece with flush-panelled door to W face, small windows to left. N and S elevations: gabled, each with window. E elevation: projecting wing at right angles to rear elevation. 4-pane sash (and 6-pane to gables) sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, rendered stack to centre, saw-tooth ashlar coped skews.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: corniced, rusticated gatepiers with ball finials flanked by ashlar coped stugged, coursed and squared sandstone rubble quadrant walls, terminated by similar lower piers and joined to semi-circular coped rubble boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Although the drawings (basement, ground and 1st floors and elevations of the S facade) for champfleurie House are unsigned and undated, they show the house as originally built before the addition of the NE and SW wings. The ordnance survey maps show that the wings were added between 1856 and 1897. Captain Stewart's study is noted on the original ground floor plan and the Valuation Rolls record that Robert Hathorn Johnston Stewart was the owner and occupier of the house up to 1867. C McWilliam states that Champfleurie was the 18th century name for Kingscavil and that R and J Adam designed a house for Alexander Johnston in 1790 to which the present house bears no relation. In the grounds to the rear of the house are wals which could possibly be the remains of an earlier structure. Boundary wall reduced in height 1990.

References

Bibliography

West Register House, architectural drawings RHP 3987.

SRO, Valuation Rolls, VR 122/14 1855-78.

1st edition OS map 1856 and 2nd edition 1897.

C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978) p136.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHAMPFLEURIE HOUSE WITH LODGE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2018 04:27