Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLENCORSE HOUSE, SOUTH LODGE, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB7455

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Glencorse
NGR
NT 24474 63020
Coordinates
324474, 663020

Description

1812; remodelled Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, circa 1892. 2-storey, 3-bay classical country house; advanced central block, 2 lower wings. Sandstone ashlar. Blocking and sill course; eaves cornice; parapeted and pedimented.

S (MAIN) & SIDE (E W) ELEVATIONS: 2-storey 3-bay central block, advanced angle pilasters; advanced central Tuscan doorway, plain lintel, banded cornice; heavy panelled door, narrow lights flanking, large umbrella fanlight with radial glazing; recessed tripartite windows flanking, segmented arched panel above lintel, 3 single windows to 1st floor, middle slightly advanced; parapet above, stepped at centre. Left return: single window, sill band, window above. Right return: single window, sill band, window above. Side wings: 2-storey, single bay. Left wing: advanced centre window to each storey, parapet above, small rectangular pediment to centre, window to upper left return, parapeted entrance porch to ground floor, door in left return. Right wing: advanced centre window to each storey, parapet above, small rectangular pediment to centre, windows to right return, symmetrical fenestration to rear.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2000.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended and platformed slate roof, small rooflight to centre, modern velux rooflight to front right. Replacement rainwater goods to side elevations and returns of front.

INTERIOR: interior shutters, cornicing to most rooms; open fireplaces to principal rooms; formal staircase with quarterpieces and three flights, mahogany handrail; decorative plaster ceiling to hallway, Venetian window to rear.

S LODGE: single storey, 2-bay; rubble with coursed ashlar door-surround; extended to side and rear; projecting eaves.

MAIN ELEVATION: central advanced moulded door-surround, triangular pediment incorporating earlier heraldic carved stone panel above; projecting timber bay window to each side, paired timber supports below; central chimney stack, terracotta cans; timber blocked overhanging eaves.

Replacement timber windows to most, single pane with lattice pattern; piended grey slate roof to main building and extension.

INTERIOR: not seen, extension modern.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: rubble walls, semi-circular coping; squared ashlar gatepiers, flat square caps; black wrought-iron gates, gold detailing to finials and centre.

Statement of Special Interest

King James III granted the barony of Glencorse to the Abernethy family in 1464. The title passed to the Bothwell family in 1610, who owned the land until 1809, and family crests can be seen at the adjacent Old Glencorse Kirk. One such crest is incorporated in to the doorway at the lodge of Glencorse House. This stone is said to have come from the old family house that was situated on the site of the present Glencorse House. The main house was built for the Inglis family, whose estate included Loganbank and Kirklands. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, who carried out similar work at the nearby Bush House, remodelled the house in 1904. In 1973, after the death of Sir Maxwell McKenzie-Inglis (Lord Lieutenant of Midlothian), most of the estate was sold. There was a stable block, now known as Gillieknowe (listed separately), and more lodges, which are now owned privately. The area separating Glencorse House and Loganbank was mentioned by Robert Louis Stevenson who said "If my spirit returns to the earth, it will be found wandering through the Glencorse woods or sitting on the old bridge at Glencorse Kirk, the finest spot on earth." The timber bridge has long gone, although the adjacent Kirk (listed separately) still exists.

References

Bibliography

T Small CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS VOL I; C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p219; S McKinstry ROWAND ANDERSON - PREMIER ARCHITECT OF SCOTLAND (1991) p211, University of Edinburgh Library ANDERSON CATALOGUE No116; J Thomas MIDLOTHIAN (1995) p63; Ian M Fraser KIRKLANDS, LOGANBANK AND OTHER LOCAL HISTORY (1995) p4, 8 &11.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENCORSE HOUSE, SOUTH LODGE, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 02:34