J T Rochead of Glasgow, architect. Built 1851-2. Tudor
Gothic mansion extended to east, in similar style 1908,
Fryers and Penman of Largs, architects. Stugged yellow
ashlar coursers with polished dressings. 2 storeys, over
raised and battered basements, 3-storey square entrance
tower to north with octagonal angle turret rising above.
Square-headed windows, mostly mullioned and hood-moulded,
perpendicular tracery at ground floor, cusped lights above;
string between floors; corbelled parapet. West elevation:
articulated by castellated bays; Tudor-arched door in tower
at left, with corbelled oriel above; 2 inner bays flanked
by wider machicolated and crenellated bays, imitating
square towers and each with projecting ground floor window;
additional narrow bay to right.
Narrow symmetrical 3-bay south elevation has central
2-storey canted window rising from ground and corbelled at
1st floor with crenellated parapet; flanking windows.
Asymmetrical east elevation has several roof levels; glazed
canopy over door; grouped diamond stacks, 1 tall octagonal
stack with crenellations; roof hidden by parapet. 1908
addition (to right) 2 storeys, 2 bays.
Interior: Tudor-arched panelled doors; rib-vaulted porch;
some chimney pieces with decorative Gothic detailing: large
3-light leaded glass 2nd floor window on east wall.
Ashlar garden terrace wall extends south from steps beside
house to square-plan, single storey pavilion block with
battered plinth; blind pointed doorway to west; tripartites, hood-moulded, with round-headed lights; corbelled and
crenellated parapet with mock machicolations.
Octagonal-plan gatepiers to east; red ashlar; raised facetted
domed caps; decorative wrought-iron gates.