Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SKELMORLIE VILLAGE 15 THE CRESCENT CROFTMOHR HOUSE AND GATEPIERSLB7284

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/08/1985
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Largs
NGR
NS 19514 67570
Coordinates
219514, 667570

Description

H E Clifford, architect. Built circa 1904. Large, 2-storey

suburban villa in arts and crafts manner. Stugged red ashlar

with polished dressings: mostly harled above ground floor:

some Timber framed gables. Deeply recessed rectangular door

in asymmetrical 3-bay south elevation, splayed reveals with roll-moulding and Tudor-arched doorway; canted and corbelled

oriel above linked at left to tall projecting stack; 2 small

rectangular lights in gabled left bay; 1st floor bipartite

above. West elevation: 4 irregular bays, 2 gabled, the left

with bowed projection; long, mullioned windows. East

elevation: triple-gabled, with roof swept at left (gabled

wing to right, long mullioned window to each floor, and

tall, mullioned and transomed stair window. Coped end and

axial stacks; slate roofs with deeply projecting eaves.

Interior: wooden panelled entrance hall and ground floor

front rooms: room to south has tall chimney piece with Dutch

tiles over fireplace and flanking painted and leaded glass

panels.

Stugged and snecked red ashlar gatepiers are corniced, with

domed caps. Garden wall has canted south west corner, with depressed-arched gateway.

References

Bibliography

ACADEMY ARCHITECTURE 1904. Vol I pp105 & 107 (illus.)

ARCHITECT 19.5.1905 Ayrshire C C Northern District Committee

Minutes, 1904.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SKELMORLIE VILLAGE 15 THE CRESCENT CROFTMOHR HOUSE AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 09:51