Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SKELMORLIE CASTLE AND COURTYARD BUILDINGSLB7281

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Largs
NGR
NS 19524 65838
Coordinates
219524, 665838

Description

Circa 1502 rectangular-plan 3-storey and attic tower house, 17th and 19th century courtyard buildings to south; alterations 1856 and 1864 when large baronial wings were added to south and to west of tower- latter wing removed and west wall of tower house re-modelled after 1959 fire; restoration completed 1962 by Noad and Wallace of Glasgow.

Tower is harled, remainder red rubble, all with red ashlar dressings and mostly crow-stepped gables.

TOWER: north-facing inserted doorway below 1856 crest, and rebuilt wallhead stack, porch to south; fenestration is altered and asymmetrical - mostly small-paned sashes; conical-roofed bartizan over 2 diagonally opposite angles, lean-to at east and massive apex stack. Interior mostly 1962.

SOUTH WING: 3 storeys with attic; single and mullioned windows (plate glass sashes); east and west long elevations each have pedimented dormer heads over 2 southmost bays and full-height twin-gabled shallow projection - one gable to west carried upward as octagonal turret; conical-roofed bartizans over 2 diagonally opposite angles: modern fire escape on south gable.

COURTYARDS: 3 2-storey ranges in joggled T-plan, with courtyard to east and to west of inner range, each court bounded on north by wall with arched entrance; both inner (?former chapel) and south west ranges essentially 17th century (possibly circa 1672 when tower interior re-modelled), each with segmental-arched dormer heads above wall-head,

and massive wall-head stack facing west court (latter walled at west also); inner range has semi-circular south gable; drum tower with gun ports at south west angle; much altered plainer south east range (presumably circa 1856 or 1864) has corresponding tower to east; (principal) east court entered from east.

Statement of Special Interest

1502 building for 2nd Montgomery of Skelmorlie; additions for John Grahame. Some unspecified alterations by John Honeyman, 1876, costing $800 (Honeyman and Keppie account)

References

Bibliography

MacGibbon and Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE, vol III, 1889. pp. 173-183.

A H Millar, CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE, 1885.

Scottish Field June 1963

Unsigned plans of 1856 and 1864 additions held by Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.

(SRO NRA(S) 1679)

Some photographs in NMRS, interior views (including 1672 dated ceiling) taken prior to fire.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SKELMORLIE CASTLE AND COURTYARD BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 16:40